This Korean Cream Cheese Garlic Bread recipe is going to knock your socks off! A Korean street food garlic bread loaded with butter, mildly sweet cream cheese, and garlicky flavor. When this bread is baking, the smell is just simply incredible.
We enjoy garlic bread especially as a side when having pasta for dinner. But this Korean cream cheese garlic bread is on a whole new level! You still get the crispy texture and garlic taste of classic garlic bread plus a lightly sweetened cream cheese filling that is to die for!
Korean street food garlic bread
This popular Korean street food garlic bread is just like classic garlic bread but with a funky twist. Instead of sliced loaf, the Korean version uses bread rolls cut in wedges. Cream cheese is inserted between the wedges then soaked or slathered with butter-garlic custard. It’s crisp, garlicky, sweet and savory, in every bite.
Does it taste better than classic garlic bread?
Both are delicious in their own respective ways but the Korean version definitely has more components. Cream cheese is the most obvious one and the butter-garlic custard-like mixture is another variation. The cream cheese garlic bread is savory and sweet at the same time with strong garlic flavors mixed in. Trust me though, these melody of flavor works well together.
Why this garlic bread recipe works?
You don’t have to make your own bread rolls, there are great brands in groceries that will work with this recipe. But, if you’re like me who like to make everything from scratch, I’ve included the bread recipe too.
The number of wedges you cut into the bread depends entirely on you. The more wedges you cut the more cream cheese you can fill it in.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Other Korean recipes you may like:
Homemade Kimchi is a traditional Korean side dish of salted and fermented cabbage and radish.
Japchae is a sweet potato noodle recipe filled with beef, vegetables & tons of flavor!
Prepare yourself for the most exciting and flavorful garlic bread you’ll ever taste. Adieu. Mia
Korean Cream Cheese Garlic Bread
- 500 grams or 3 ⅓ cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- ¼ cup sugar or ⅓ if you want it on the sweeter side
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cup warm milk or war water
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg wash (whole beaten egg)
Cream Cheese Filling
- 200 grams cream cheese
- 20 grams sugar
- 50 grams whipping cream
- 130 grams unsalted butter
- 40 grams fresh garlic (chopped finely)
- 20 grams condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 4 tsp chopped fresh parsley or dried
Making the bread rolls
- In a mixing bowl place bread flour, sugar, instant yeast and salt. Mix with a wire whisk to incorporate all ingredients.
- Add warm milk/water, egg and vegetable oil then mix with a spatula until rough dough forms. Fix mixing bowl in the mixer with dough hook attachment and beat at low-medium setting for 12 minutes or until dough is smooth, elastic and doesn’t break when pulled.
- Grease clean counter top or flat surface with a bit of oil and place dough on top to avoid dough sticking. Knead for a couple of seconds then shape it into a ball.
- Transfer in another bowl and coat with thin layer of oil so it will not dry out while rising. Let it rise for 1 hour or until double in size.
- When dough doubled in size you know you achieved a good rise. Lightly press on the dough to release the air/gas inside. Dump the dough on the counter top and roll into a log shape. Cut and using a kitchen scale, weigh 62 grams of dough.
- Arrange in a baking pan and cover with a kitchen towel to rest for 30 minutes or when it doubles in size.
- While waiting for the final rise, pre-heat the oven at (375°F or 180°C°). When the dough have rested for 30 minutes, brush egg wash then place them in the oven and bake for 25 minutes at (375°F or 180°C°). Remove from oven and set aside to cool down.
Making the cream cheese filling
- In a mixing bowl, cream the cream cheese then add sugar and whisk until well incorporated.
- Tip in whipping cream then whisk again with wire whisk until incorporated and smooth in texture. Transfer in a piping bag and set aside.
Making the butter-garlic custard
- Place butter in bowl and melt in a microwave. Add, garlic, condensed milk, egg, and parsley. Mix well until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven at (375°F or 180°C°). Prepared baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- When bread rolls are cool to handle, slice 3-4 wedges on top of the bread leaving some bread intact at the bottom to keep the bread together.
- Pipe in lines of cream cheese filling in the cracks of the bread while avoiding the bread from breaking.
- In a plate, place a cream cheese filled bread. Pour some butter-garlic custard on top of the bread using a spoon making sure all sides are coated. Transfer custard coated in prepared baking pan.
- Gather excess butter-garlic custard that have accumulated on the plate and return in the bowl with custard. Repeat process until all bread rolls are done.
- Place them in the oven and bake for 10 minutes at (375°F or 180°C°) or until crisp. Remove from oven and set aside to cool down. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!
- Baking time may vary according to oven used