Penne al telefono is a quick and easy, cheesy, everyday pasta dish! Perfectly cooked penne pasta with flavorful mozzarella, tomatoes and some heat. It’s sure to become a new family-favorite pasta recipe.
This is a new recruit in my pasta recipe army along with salted egg pasta and aligue pasta. I just love the creaminess and how tasty this pasta recipe is. My husband even saved some from dinner so he can pack it for lunch the following day. This no-fuss penne pasta recipe is perfect for weeknights, and gratifying enough to please adults and kids alike.
Great pasta dish for weeknights.
Inspired by one of Cibo’s popular pasta dish that will make you feel at home. I often incorporate pasta in our weekly meals especially easy to to prepare dishes for busy days. Penne al telefono is so easy to make and is ready in 30 minutes, making it a fantastic family dinner option on rushed weeknights.
What to serve it with?
This delicious penne and mozzarella recipe is kind of a meal on its own, but you may want to add something like crusty homemade artisan bread or soft bread rolls. Why not go all the way and add some garlic parmesan wings for a full hearty meal.
Can I use a different pasta?
I used regular penne pasta for this recipe but you can change it with whole grain. Whole grain pasta is ideal for anyone looking to increase their intake of fiber and whole grains without compromising taste. You can also use elbow macaroni or bow tie pasta to replace penne.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Other pasta recipes you may like:
Black Ink Seafood Pasta is not your typical pasta. One obvious reason is the pasta itself. Black Pasta is pasta made from a pasta dough (typically from durum wheat semolina flour) that has ink from squid or cuttlefish mixed into it.
Filipino-style Lasagna that is so good that every mouthful is satisfying! Layers of ground beef, mozzarella, and béchamel sauce between lasagna pasta.
Penne Al Telefono (Penne Pasta Recipe)
- 500 grams penne pasta
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 ½ cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 ½ cup heavy cream (or all-purpose cream)
- ½ chicken broth cube
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup mozzarella (grated)
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp chili flakes (optional)
- Cook penne pasta according to packaging instructions. Drain water and set aside.
- In a pot over low-medium heat, melt butter then add olive oil. Sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook until wilted. Tip in sugar, salt, pepper and chicken broth cube. Mix until incorporated.
- Mix-in water and heavy cream then cover pot with lid then bring to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Transfer penne pasta and toss in with the sauce. Add mozzarella and cheddar cheese then toss again until fully incorporated. Cover again and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat then transfer in a serving dish. Top with parmesan or any preferred cheese and chili flakes. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!
- You can replace cherry tomatoes with crushed canned tomatoes.