Ginataang Mais recipe is a quick, no-fuss and delicious corn and rice in coconut milk pudding recipe. Sweet corn kernels with glutinous rice cooked in coconut milk perfect for snack or dessert!
If you’re a fan of champorado or ginataang munggo, then ginataang mais is up your alley! It’s a great dessert after a hearty meal or rice pudding snack. What’s even better is it’s ready to serve in less than 30 minutes! It’s a creamy, corn-filled, rice pudding treat that everyone will enjoy.
What is it made from?
Ginataang mais is a simple Filipino dessert that is easy to make. I would wait with eager anticipation when I see my mom prepare the ingredients which consist mainly of glutinous rice, corn kernels, sugar and coconut milk. She would patiently remove the corn kernels from the cobs of fresh sweet corn. Nowadays canned corn kernels can also be used which makes for easy preparation.
Make it the way you like!
The process of making this coconut rice pudding with corn is pretty straight-forward. You can adjust the sweetness to your liking and make it thick or soupy as you wish. What you can’t do is undercook the rice and corn. Make sure that the glutinous rice and corn are soft and cooked properly.
Tips for an amiable experience!
Add more water or coconut milk to avoid the pudding from drying-up while the rice or corn needs more time to cook.
Use canned corn kernels if you don’t have time to remove kernels from sweet corn cobs or fresh corn is not readily available.
Stir the mixture occasionally to avoid sticking and burning at the bottom of the pot.
Before adding the sugar make sure that the rice is fully cooked. Adding the sugar too soon will result in un-even cooking of the rice.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You may also like:
Ginataang Bilo Bilo with sticky glutinous rice balls, sweet potatoes, plantain bananas, sweet jack fruit, and tapioca pearls! All cooked in creamy coconut milk to make an extraordinary dessert!
Minatamis na Munggo – Boiled mung beans sweetened just right for a quick and easy after-meal treat. This recipe is as simple as it gets!
P.S. Turn simple ingredients into delectable rice and corn pudding with this Ginataang Mais Recipe! Adieu, Mia
Ginataang Mais Recipe
- 1 cup glutinous rice
- 2 – 3 pcs. sweet corn (kernels removed from cob) or 1 can (250g) corn kernels
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut cream
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- Wash and rinse glutinous rice then soak in water for 30 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- If using fresh corn. Remove kernels from cob and place in a bowl. Set aside cobs for later use.
- In a pot over medium heat, add water, coconut milk, coconut cream, and place corn cobs. Boil for 5 minutes and remove corn cobs.
- Turn heat to low and tip in glutinous rice. Cook for 5 – 10 minutes while occasionally stirring to avoid burning the bottom.
- Add corn kernels, sugar, salt. Stir to incorporate and cook for 7 minutes or until kernels are soft. Taste and adjust according to preference. (Note: If using canned corn kernels, include the liquid)
- Turn off heat and serve in bowls while warm or chilled. Bon appetit!