Creamy Chicken Macaroni salad with juicy shredded chicken, pineapple chunks, raisins, bacon and al dente pasta. A Filipino cold salad usually served on Christmas holidays. Well, I wouldn’t mind having it anytime of the year.
Along with spaghetti and no-bake macaroni, Filipino chicken macaroni salad graces our table during the Christmas season. With different flavor profiles, ranging from tangy, sweet, salty and many more. And don’t get me started with the texture. Tender shredded chicken, al dente elbow macaroni coated in creamy mayonnaise and crunchy bits of bacon! It will leave you speechless on the first bite.
What makes it so good?
Creamy and delicious dressing that will make you ask for more. This is due to a good helping of mayonnaise and condensed milk!
Rich in texture that is just a joy to eat. The bits of bacon added gives the macaroni salad some crunchiness and not mention more flavor!
Hearty and filling chicken macaroni that is loaded with protein rich ingredients. That’s why I usually save this cold salad for last.
Sweet, tangy, salty are just a few of the flavors you’ll enjoy when having this chicken macaroni.
Making for a bigger crowd? No worries, the recipe can be adjusted easily. This recipe can makes 6 servings so just double or triple the ingredients for a bigger batch.
Some tips for best results
Give the ingredients time to cool down before tossing together. Cooling down the ingredients before mixing helps the salad set and thicken nicely.
Bacon bits are optional but give it a try and you’ll thank me later. Ham, boiled eggs are also alternative add-ins you can try.
Cook the pasta as per packaging instructions. It should be cooked through, soft yet a bit firm and not mushy.
Make sure the chicken breast is well cooked. Take a piece of chicken breast using a kitchen thong while boiling and slice to check the inside.
Filipino macaroni salad is best served cold so refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour before serving.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You might also like
Chicken Potato Salad is what you need for a tasty side dish. With tender potatoes combined with shredded chicken, onions, mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, and mustard.
Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca is just as quick and easy to make like any pasta dish. It requires nothing more than some items you probably have in your pantry already.
Chicken Macaroni Salad
- 250 grams elbow macaroni pasta
- 1 liter water for boiling pasta
- 1 tbsp salt for boiling pasta
- 150 grams chicken breast
- 2 cups mayonnaise add more if needed
- 2 tbsp condense milk or sugar add more if needed
- 3 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- ½ medium size carrots grated
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup pineapple chunks
- ¼ cup cheese cut into small cubes
- salt and ground black pepper for seasoning
- 3-5 pcs bacon toasted
- Heat pan over medium heat and cook 3 – 5 of bacon pieces without oil until toasted. Remove from pan and cool down then cut into small bits with a kitchen scissor. Set aside.
- Boil chicken breast in a pot for 5-8 minutes or until cooked through. Drain water and let cool down. Shred all chicken breast using fork then set aside.
- Heat water in a pot. When the water starts boiling, add salt then add elbow macaroni. Cook according to packaging or until al dente. Drain macaroni on a colander and transfer in a mixing bowl.
- Add mayonnaise and condensed milk and give it a quick toss. Tip the pickle relish, red onion and grated carrots and mix to evenly distribute ingredients.
- Add cooked chicken breast, raisins, pineapple chucks, and cheese then toss again to incorporate. Sprinkle with toasted bacon and cover with cling film then refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour. Bon appetit!