Arroz caldo is my husband’s favorite dish, just like gising-gising, I mean his addicted to it. Whenever I make this, he’ll have it for breakfast, lunch, snack and would you believe until dinner! LOL! This chicken rice porridge make one think of risotto but this one has chicken pieces and boiled eggs in it. Filipinos would go to karinderyas to have arroz-caldo to sober up after a night of drinking. I also remember vendors in bicycle carts passing through our street selling this in the morning and afternoons. This recipe cannot get much easier if you want to cook it. I find it fitting to serve during cold weather or rainy days.
You can elevate the flavor of this dish by adding toasted garlic and scallions. Eggs can also be omitted but I suggest you try it first. Squeezing a bit of lemon juice completes the package.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Arroz Caldo
- You might be asking why other recipes of this porridge is yellowish. If you want it to have a tint of yellow color, you can add safflower which is traditionally used when cooking this dish.
- ½ kilo chicken wings washed and cut in two by the joints
- 1 cup rice
- 4-5 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 knob ginger cut in strips approx 1 inch in length
- 1 chicken cube
- 3 tbsp fish sauce or you can use salt as alternative
- ½ tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 6 medium hard boiled eggs optional (sliced)
- toasted garlic garnish (store bought)
- scallions garnish
- lemon optional
- Heat cooking oil in a pot over medium heat and saute garlic, onion and ginger until onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add the fish sauce and uncooked rice then stir/mix and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour-in 4 to 5 cups of water and drop the chicken cube then cover the pot. Bring to a boil.
Lower the heat and stir occasionally to avoid burning the rice at the bottom of the pot.
- Let simmer until the rice is fully cooked, approx. 25 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning and dash with ground black pepper.
- Serve hot and top it off with the hard boiled eggs, toasted garlic and scallions. Bon Appetit.