Chicken Udon stir-fry is a quick and easy dinner option for weeknights. It’s easy to make yet so satisfyingly delicious! The fat udon noodles are fun to eat and the sauce is so yummy that makes this dish an enjoyable meal.
My family loves udon so much that I keep a pack or two in my pantry. This stir fry is a fantastic base recipe, with just a basic of ingredients. For a more meatier meal, feel free to add in protein like chicken, shrimp or pork. But for this recipe, I used chicken which is my daughter’s favorite. Adding bean sprouts, mushrooms, bell peppers, and cabbage also makes the dish more rounded and healthier.
In choosing your udon noodles, there are different options to choose from. I normally use the soft-vacuum-packed variety since they are easier to prepare and the texture is more to my liking. Just simply add to your dish or you can also boil first to loosen up the noodles. Frozen udon needs to be cooked in boiling water for at least a minute before proceeding to stir fry. The Semi-dry ones need to be boiled for 8 minutes while the dry udon noodles require boiling for 10 minutes before using in your dish. So if you are out of ideas for dinner, try this udon stir fry for hassle-free cooking!
You might also like:
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Chicken Udon:
- I only used bell peppers, carrots, and cabbage here, but you can use whatever vegetables you fancy. Just consider cooking time in the wok and add the longer-to-cook ones first (and cut in small pieces).
- If you plan on using dried udon, remember to cook-boil first and probably add more sauce for the udon to soak. Personally, I suggest just using the soft vacuum-packed udon.
- 2 pcs chicken breast (cut into strips)
- 600 grams udon noodles (soft vacuum-packed)
- 5 cups water (for boiling udon)
- 1 pc large carrot (cut into strips)
- ½ small cabbage (cut into strips)
- 1 large onion (slice)
- ½ bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
Ingredients for chicken marinate
- ⅔ tbsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
Ingredients for udon sauce
- ⅔ cups soy sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oysters sauce
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Boil water in a pot then. When water is boiling add udon noodles then let simmer for 5 mins. Drain and set aside.
- Wash chicken breast thoroughly and cut into strips. Season with salt, pepper, and light soy sauce and marinate for 5 to 10 minutes.
Making the udon sauce
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients like soy sauce, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, salt, and sesame oil. Set aside.
Making the udon stir fry
- Heat cooking oil in a wok or cooking pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the chicken breast stir-fry until brown and cooked through. Add the carrots and cabbage stir-fry and let sit for about 10 mins.
- Tip in the udon noodles and stir in with other ingredients. Gradually pour the udon sauce while stirring until the noodles are coated with sauce.
- Add the bell peppers then stir-fry some more. cover the wok pan with a lid and let cook for 5 minutes more. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Transfer in a bowl and serve. Bon Appetit!