Fishball Sauce Recipe
This homemade Fishball Sauce recipe is all you need for your favorite Filipino street food. Sweet and spicy, just like how our friendly street vendor “Manong“ makes it!
It’s one of the day’s highlights when manong’s wooden cart passes through our street. Every kid and adult would crowd around the cart and help themselves with bamboo sticks to skewer fish balls or whatever they crave for.
Fish ball sauce is something that we grew up with and enjoyed. Whether it’s fish balls, kikiam, squid balls or kwek kwek, it’s the perfect dip for our beloved street food.
Authentic Manong’s Sauce
Sweet, spicy fish ball sauce is simple to make and every manong have their secret recipe. I created my own recipe when I made my homemade fish balls that you can also try. I am not exaggerating when I say that this is as close to the authentic sauce that we are familiar with.
You can make it under 10 minutes and with just basic ingredients that you probably already have sitting in your pantry. Try this fishball sauce recipe and let us know!
Ingredients for the sauce
- Flour – All purpose flour is what I suggest you use for this recipe.
- Cornstarch – This will help thicken the sauce.
- Salt and Pepper – I will not give an exact measurement for these two. Add a dash at first and add more according to your taste.
- Brown Sugar – You can also use white sugar but the color and the sweetness may differ because white sugar is sweeter.
- Soy sauce – You can use light soy sauce too if you want.
- Red chili – You can remove this if you’re not into spicy food or add more if you’re an adventurer! You can also use chili pepper flakes if you can’t find any bird’s eye chili or labuyo.
- Garlic – Just slice them up and add them when the sauce is thick.
Tips for an Amiable experience
- To serve, transfer the sauce in a jar with a wide opening or a small bowl and dip away!
- If consuming at a later date, place sauce in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- The sauce will keep good for up to 5 days.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You may also like
Homemade Shawarma Sauces – Great dressing choice of tzatziki or mayonnaise based sauce for homemade shawarma.
Peri-peri Sauce – You can literally have it on anything from marinade to dipping sauce.
Easy Mushroom Gravy – It takes less than 10 minutes to make and you probably already have all of the ingredients in your kitchen.
Cassava balls – This delicious snack is a healthy alternative for fish balls. It mainly consists of grated cassava, carrots and green onion and flour.
Fishball Sauce Recipe
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- salt and pepper
- 6 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 red chili (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic ( sliced)
- In a saucepan, Mix water, flour, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, dash of salt and pepper. Stir until sugar is dissolved and no more lumps from flour.2 tablespoon flour, 2 tablespoon cornstarch, salt and pepper, 6 tablespoon brown sugar, 6 cups water, 1/2 cup soy sauce
- Cook in medium heat while stirring for 4 – 6 minutes. Taste and adjust with salt and pepper according to preference.
- Add chopped chili and sliced garlic and simmer for a minute. Transfer in serving bowl or jar and let it cool down. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!2 red chili, 3 cloves garlic
Nostalgic, easy to follow instruction
Thank you for the great review and I’m really happy you liked it.
Something makes me crazy on making fish ball sauce,
I will try this recipe and update you for the outcomes, good luck to me,🙏
Yes, please let us know how it went. Good luck to you and hopefully you’ll like it. Cheers!