Caramel bars that are soft, chewy, and crunchy at the same time! Inspired by Max’s restaurant. It’s like having the same thing but with almond flakes instead of ground peanuts. Great for dessert, snack or pack it for kids to enjoy at school.
I had a chance to really appreciate these caramel bars from Max’s restaurant the last time we went home to Philippines. Chewy piece of caramel brownie topped with peanut bits is what you just need after a hearty meal. I wanted to re-create something similar so with some testing and tasting, I finally settled with an easy caramel bar recipe that I’m happy with.
What makes it soft and chewy?
When baking these caramel bars or when making brownies, you might ask what makes them chewy or fudgy? To learn more about fudgy brownies, you can check out my chocolate brownies recipe. Now, for chewy and soft caramel bars, vegetable oil keeps it moist. Brown sugar also plays a role because it quickens gluten formation and adds molasses producing a chewier texture.
I opted to use almond flakes for my caramel brownie recipe because this is what I have in my kitchen when making this the first time and I loved it. But I also tried ground unsalted peanuts, chopped walnuts, cashew, and pili nuts. A word of advise though, if your planning to gift these make sure the person who will receive them doesn’t have allergies.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for best results.
Do not overbake to accomplish a chewy and soft caramel bars.
Do not over-beat ingredients if you don’t want to end up with hard/tough brownies. After folding in the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, beat it with a hand mixer for a few seconds until incorporated.
Ingredients needs to be in room temperature.
- 6 egg yolks
- ¾ cup brown sugar (or white granulated sugar)
- 1 cup vegetable oil (or softened butter unsalted or salted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 397 grams can condense milk
- 1 cup milk powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking Powder
- ¼ tsp salt (remove if using salted butter )
- ½ cup almond flakes – add more if needed (cashew nuts, ground peanuts, chopped walnuts)
- Pre heat oven at 180°C / 356° F. Line 14in. x 10in. baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat the egg yolks using a hand mixer or wire whisk until light and pale in color. Then add sugar beat until well incorporated.
- Add the vegetable oil and vanilla extract then mix again. Pour condense milk then give it a quick mix until all the ingredient are well combined. Tip in milk powder then mix until no traces of milk is left.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour and baking powder using a strainer.
- Fold-in the dry ingredient in 2 batches using a spatula until there is no trace of flour. Use a hand mixer then give it a quick beat until smooth. (NOTE: don’t over beat or the caramel bars will be tough/hard)
- Pour the caramel batter into prepared pan then top with almonds flakes. Bake for 40-45 mins or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Bon appetit!
- If using softened butter. (This will replace step 2) Beat the butter until creamed then add sugar then proceed to adding the eggs.