Sweet and Spicy Dilis with it’s sweet and spicy coating and crunchy anchovies will definitely tickle your taste buds! You can have it as an appetizer or just snack on them while watching a movie. This homemade recipe is also great as a beer match like gising-gising when friends come over!
This snack food is commonly sold in various stores and groceries across the Philippines. It is a dish that is made out of dried anchovies in a sweet and spicy coating. Usually packed in small plastic packets and stapled-sealed on thin cardboard. You can usually see it being sold at kiosks in bus and jeepney terminals. Though this street snack is common in the Philippines, it is not totally unique to the Filipinos as I have seen this served in Malaysia and China as an appetizer the only difference is they add roasted sesame seeds.
If you do not fancy buying this delicious treat from street vendors or stores, then this recipe is for you! I can assume that most of us want to make sure what we put in our mouths is clean. You can make your own yummy dilis snack by following this easy recipe so that you can fix your craving. If you find this recipe helpful, please leave a comment below on how it went. Bon Appetit!
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips on Sweet and Spicy Dilis
- Fry the coated anchovies for 2 minutes or until the texture becomes crunchy but not burnt.
Sweet an Spicy Dilis
- 2 cups dried anchovies (dried dilis)
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup chili powder (or dried chili finely blended)
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Place dried anchovies in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat water and sugar in a cooking pot over medium heat until sugar dissolves and water is reduced slightly.
- Remove from heat and add chili powder. Stir to incorporate well.
- Pour the chili mix gradually onto the anchovies in three batches. Mixing while pouring until anchovies are fully coated.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the coated anchovies for 2 to 3 minutes or until crunchy. NOTE: Make sure that the oil is really hot before frying the anchovies but avoid burning them.
- Remove from heat and transfer on a plate. You can also let them cool and place in a container with lid for later consumption. Bon Appetit