Drunken barbecue spare ribs has always been the most-liked weekend dish of my family. I had this recipe for years now and it has proven to be a winner. Why “drunken” you ask? This is because beer is one of the ingredient for the sauce. Any type of beer would do the job, so use whatever you have in your fridge. This is a year-round recipe because it’s oven baked. Baking ribs in the oven over a lower heat for a few hours breaks down the connective tissues and results in a super moist and tender rib. You’ll be surprised at both how simple it is and how the ribs are ultra tasty.
They’re so flavorful and tender, it will be your new go-to recipe for ribs!
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Drunken Barbecue Spare Ribs
- For best results, marinate the ribs overnight but you can also bake after 3 to 4 hours.
Drunken Barbecue Spare Ribs
- 2 racks pork spare ribs
For rubbing the spare ribs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
For the sauce
- 1 cup beer any kind
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp water thickening agent
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- Wash the spare ribs thoroughly and at one end of the rack, slide a dinner knife under the membrane and over a bone for it to come off. Wash the ribs again and set aside.
- In a bowl mix all ingredients for the rub. Set aside
- Lay down an aluminum foil on a flat surface (length should be a bit longer than the rack of ribs). Pat dry the ribs and coat with the rub mixture on both sides then place on top of the foil. Do the same with the second rack of ribs.
- Get another foil and cover the top and seal by rolling all sides of the foil. Let marinate for 3 – 4 hours. NOTE: overnight in the fridge will give better results.
- Pre-heat oven at 190° C.
- Bake the ribs with foil cover at 190° C for 1 hour
- While the ribs are baking, Make the sauce by mixing all ingredients (except the thickening agent) in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and gradually add the thickening agent. stir and simmer for 10 mins. or until thick. Set aside
- After the ribs cooked for 1 hour in the oven, remove the top foil cover and bast the ribs with the sauce you made. Bake again for 1 more hour. When the meat is tender remove from oven.
- Chop your ribs between the bones and pour some more sauce. Serve and Enjoy! Bon Appetit!
You can also see my other recipes on Yummly. Yummly is your smart cooking sidekick, offering personalized guidance every step of the way.