These delicious Ube Bread pack TONS of ube (purple yam) flavor! Made from simple everyday ingredients, this easy bread recipe will be your new favorite. These purple yum bread taste completely over-the-top with a sprinkle of sugar!
This recipe is an offshoot from the choco bread that Filipinos are familiar with. A common fixture inside the glass stands at local bakeries in the Philippines. It’s perfect for breakfast or a midday pick-me-up with a cup of piping hot coffee. This bread is not so hard to make, but it did take several tries to get right. The result is a very tender, very purple yam bread that is moist and delicious and believe it or not, is as delicious (if not more so) the next day.
I am super excited to share this Purple Yam Bread recipe with you today. I have been testing the recipe for a few weeks and it is finally perfection. It is probably the recipe out there! A thing to remember though when baking, Proofing is important. The first proof is important to allow the yeast and gluten to develop. This plays a huge role in the flavor of the final product as well. The second proof is important to get a beautifully risen, airy and light bread loaf.
You might also like:
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Ube Bread
- Use a Stand Mixer. It makes the whole process easy. You can knead the dough by hand, but it takes quite a while to develop the gluten in the dough this way.
Soft Bread Ingredients
- 300 grams bread flour
- ¼ cup powdered milk
- 100 grams sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 80 grams soften butter
For Ube (purple yam) Filling
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 3 tsp ube food color
- 2 tsp ube essence/flavoring
- 3 tbsp water
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter (soften)
- 1 egg
Egg Wash, Sugar Sprinkle, Butter
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 3 tbsp sugar (for sprinkle)
- 3 tbsp butter (soften)
Making the Soft Bread
- Dissolve 1 tsp active dry yeast in warm water. Stir in yeast until completely dissolved. Let mixture stand until yeast begins to foam vigorously (5 – 10 minutes). Set Aside
- Using the bowl of a stand mixer. Add bread flour, sugar, powdered milk, and a pinch of salt. Mix with a spatula then add the yeast mixture and butter and mix some more until well incorporated.
- With the dough hook attachment beat the mixture at low speed for 5 minutes. Add butter and beat again for 10 minutes at medium speed or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let sit for 45 minutes or until double in size.
Making Ube Filling
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and knead until a dough is formed.
- Take approximately 1 ½ tbsp from the dough and shape into a ball. Repeat the process until dough is finished and place them in a pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
Assembly of Ube Bread
- Take your risen soft bread dough and place on top of a lightly floured flat surface. Lightly punch the dough in the middle to release air. Roll into a log and cut into 12 equal pieces. Each piece weighing approx. 60 grams.
- Take one piece of dough and flatten with a rolling pin. Place one of the ube fillings balls in the center of the dough.
- Wrap the filling inside the dough and flatten with a rolling pin.
- Rotate the dough lengthwise.
- And cut slits in the middle but stop until you see the ube filling inside.
- Flip the dough with the slits facing down.
- Then roll the dough lengthwise from the bottom until you have a log-shaped dough and the slits will be seen now. Repeat the process until you finish all of the dough and filling.
- Place the finished doughs in a baking pan lined with parchment paper and rest for 40 minutes or double in size.
- Pre-heat oven at 180°C.
- Before baking, apply egg-wash and bake for 20 minutes on until golden. Remove from oven and brush with butter and sprinkle some sugar on top. Serve and Enjoy! Bon Appetit!
Can I use margarine instead of butter in this recipe? Also, can i use Powdered buttermilk for powdered milk?
Yes, you can use margarine instead of butter. I haven’t tried powdered buttermilk yet so I can’t say for sure.
Any powdered milk will do po ba?
Yes, any powder milk po.
Thank you 😊
Delicious! Came out nearly perfect my first time. Made vegan with simple substitutions and friends couldn’t tell.