Japchae is a stir-fried glass noodle dish filled with beef, vegetables & tons of flavor! Make japchae at home for a delicious and nutritionally balanced meal. Easily one of the best among all Korean recipes.
Most of us have embraced Korean cuisine especially Filipinos. Last time we went home to the Philippines, you will see Korean restaurants everywhere. Whether its Samgyeopsal or Bibimbap, you won’t have any problems finding it.
That is why when we went back to Paris, we had this really huge craving for Korean dishes. Luckily there is a nearby Asian store where we live so I can extinguish our cravings! This japchae recipe is great with gochujang to give it some heat so make sure to always keep a Gochujang or Korean hot pepper paste in your fridge.
What Goes In Japchae?
Why You Should Try It
This recipe will help you recreate the Japchae in your home in the easiest way. Traditionally each component is cooked and seasoned individually, then mixed along with the sauce. The goal is to cook each ingredient to a certain degree and give the best taste and texture.
How To Make Japchae
Authentic japchae noodles is usually made with sweet potato noodles or glass noodles, various veggies, a protein (beef, pork, or chicken) then tossed in a sweet-savory sauce and topped with strips of fried egg.
Tips For Making Japchae
- For choosing the protein, you can use chicken (breast or thigh), shrimps (peeled and deveined), pork loin, and beef strips. Whatever you choose make sure to cut them thinly.
- Cut and prepare all the ingredients before starting the stir-fry, so they are ready to go when you’re ready to cook.
How to serve and store.
- Serve warm in a plate topped with egg strips, toasted sesame seeds, and chopped spring onion.
- Store leftover japchae if any in an airtight container and should be kept refrigerated. It will keep well for 3 to 4 days and reheat nicely in the microwave.
You Might Also Like:
- 2/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 260 grams potato noodles
- 300 grams beef sirloin (cut in strips)
- 1 liter water
- 1 medium onion (cut in wedges)
- 1 medium carrot (jullienned)
- 1/2 pc yellow bell pepper (jullienned)
- 1/2 pc green bell pepper (jullienned)
- 1/2 pc red bell pepper (jullienned)
- 1 bunch or 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp salt (for blanching spinach and cooking noodles)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 whole eggs (beaten)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (toasted)
- 1 tbsp spring onion (chopped)
- Make the sauce by mixing light soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and garlic in a small bowl.2/3 cup light soy sauce, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 4 tbsp sesame oil, 2 cloves garlic
- Place thin sliced beef strips in another bowl and pour half of the sauce. Coat beef with sauce and marinate for at least 30 minutes.300 grams beef sirloin
- In a large pot, boil water with salt and blanc spinach for 30 second to a minute. Remove spinach from pot and transfer in a bowl with ice cold water for a couple of seconds. Gently squeeze spinach to remove excess water and set aside.1 liter water, 1 bunch or 1/2 cup spinach, 1 tbsp salt
- Tip in potato noodles and cook according to packaging instructions. Pour noodles in a colander to drain water then rinse in cold water. Sprinkle some sesame oil, mix then set aside.260 grams potato noodles
- In a wok or skillet, heat oil and fry beaten eggs. Cut eggs into strips and set aside.2 whole eggs, 1 tbsp cooking oil
- In the same wok, stir fry marinated beef for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Sauté onions in the same wok again then cook carrots, bell peppers until tender. Add blanched spinach, season with a pinch of salt and mix to incorporate.1 medium onion, 1 medium carrot, 1/2 pc yellow bell pepper, 1/2 pc green bell pepper, 1/2 pc red bell pepper
- Add stir-fried beef then mix in with other ingredients to properly distribute. Throw in the noodles and toss to evenly distribute the vegetables.
- Pour in the remaining sauce mixture then toss again to coat all of the noodles.
- Cook for additional 2-3 then transfer in a serving dish. Top with egg strips and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve and Enjoy. Bon appetit!1 tsp sesame seeds, 1 tbsp spring onion