Japchae is a sweet potato noodle recipe filled with beef, vegetables & tons of flavor! Make japchae at home if you want a delicious and nutritionally balanced meal for your weekday dinner.
Most of us have embraced Korean cuisine especially Filipinos. Last time we went home to the Philippines, you will see Korean restaurants everywhere. Whether its Samgyeopsal or Bibimbap, you won’t have any problems finding it.
That is why when we went back to Paris, we had this really huge craving for Korean dishes. Luckily there is a nearby Asian store where we live so I can extinguish our cravings! Here’s a tip, make sure to always keep a Gochujang or Korean hot pepper paste in your fridge.
Why you should try it?
This recipe will help you recreate the Japchae in your home in the easiest way. Traditionally each component is cooked and seasoned individually, then mixed along with the sauce. The goal is to cook each ingredient to a certain degree and give the best taste and texture.
How to make Japchae
Japchae is usually made with sweet potato noodles, various veggies, a protein (beef, pork, or chicken) then tossed in a sweet-savory sauce.
- You start by cooking the noodles as per packaging instructions.
- Prepare and cut vegetables (julienned) into strips.
- Cut the beef thinly into strips and marinate in soy sauce, garlic, honey, sesame seeds, and onion.
- Mix together soy sauce, sugar, and sesame oil in a bowl later use.
- Heat oil in a pot over medium heat and cook-in carrots, and bell peppers first until tender.
- Tip in onion and garlic and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add spring onion, spinach, and mushrooms and mix in with other ingredients.
- Add marinated beef and mix, cook until beef is light in color.
- Throw in the noodles and toss to evenly distribute the vegetables.
- Pour in the sauce mixture then toss again to coat all of the noodles.
- Cook for a few minutes then transfer in a serving dish and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Tips for making Japchae
- For choosing the protein, you can use chicken (breast or thigh), shrimps (peeled and deveined), pork loin, and beef strips. Whatever you choose make sure to cut them thinly.
- Cut and prepare all the ingredients before starting the stir-fry, so they are ready to go when you’re ready to cook.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You might also like:
- 200 grams beef sirloin cut in strips
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey or brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small onion cut in wedges
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 clove garlic chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 medium carrot julienned
- ½ slice red bell pepper julienned
- ¼ cup spring onions cut to 1-inch strips
- ½ cup spinach blanched and cut in strips
- ¼ cup mushroom
- 320 grams sweet potato noodles cook as per packaging
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- sesame seeds for topping
- Marinate beef and set aside.
- Boil sweet potato noodles as per packaging. Drain water and set aside.
- Cut and prepare all vegetables.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep pan over medium heat.
- Stir fry carrots and bell pepper for 2 minutes. Then add onion and garlic and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add spring onion, spinach, and mushroom and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add marinated beef and mix in with the rest of the ingredients. Cook until light brown in color (approx. 2 minutes).
- Throw in the noodles and toss to distribute evenly. Stir fry for 3 minutes.
- Add japchae sauce and toss to evenly coat the noodle strands. Cook for 5 minutes while tossing once in a while.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and serve. Bon Appetit!