Sizzling tofu recipe lets you enjoy the bold flavors of sisig without the meat! If you’re you a fan of pork sisig but want something lighter, this tofu dish is for you.
Hearing about sizzling tofu sisig or tokwang sisig from friends and family back home prompted me to try make it. I took my time developing the recipe to capture the essence of a sisig dish and finally settled on this recipe. Guess what? It was so good that it became a family-favorite in my weekly menu.
This vegetarian sisig is creamy and rich in flavor that you won’t even miss the meat. The right amount of spiciness will make you come back for more without feeling guilty. Enjoy it as a main dish with steamed rice or as a side dish. And, if you like this recipe or have any suggestions, leave a comment below and we’ll be happy to chat with you!
What Is Sizzling Tofu?
Sizzling tofu is a lighter version of sisig which is a popular dish in the Philippines. It gained popularity when Max’s restaurant, famous for its fried chicken and other Filipino dishes, included it in their menu. It uses extra firm tofu to replace the meat in the dish making it a healthier alternative. Other ingredients are similar to sisig but it’s creamier due to the addition of mayonnaise.
Notes On Ingredients
How To Serve And Store
You might also like:
- 530 grams / 1 block firm tofu (water drained)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 red/green bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 long green chili (sliced)
- 2 bird's eye chili (sliced)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp liquid seasoning
- 4 ½ tbsp mayonnaise
- salt and pepper (for seasoning)
- 1 tsp butter (for sizzling plate)
- Cut tofu into cubes approximately 1 inch x 1 inch. Heat oil in a deep pan over medium heat. When oil is hot, fry tofu in batches until golden. Transfer in a bowl lined with kitchen towel and set aside.530 grams / 1 block firm tofu, 1 cup vegetable oil
- Using the same pan, remove some of the but leave 1 tbsp. Sauté onion until translucent then cook garlic until fragrant. Add bell pepper and green chili and mix to distribute.3 cloves garlic, 1 medium onion, 1 red/green bell pepper, 1 long green chili
- Tip in oyster sauce, liquid seasoning, and mayonnaise. Stir to incorporate then add a dash of salt and pepper to taste according to preference. Add cooked tofu and mix until tofu is coated with sauce. Set aside2 tbsp oyster sauce, 2 tbsp liquid seasoning, 4 ½ tbsp mayonnaise, salt and pepper
- Heat sizzling plate and add butter. When butter melts, add tofu and top with bird's eye chili. Serve while sizzling. Bon appetit!1 tsp butter, 2 bird's eye chili