Tteokbokki or spicy rice cake that is a popular Korean food made from small-sized garaeddeok (sticky rice tubes). The sauce is spicy and flavorful with cuts of fish cakes, scallions, and boiled eggs. A yummy street food delicacy that you can let your friends and family try.
This delicious comfort food is something you can easily make at home. The spicy, slightly sweet, and chewy rice cakes are simply addictive!
As a parent, some of you might have children going crazy about anything Korean. Since my daughter discovered “BTS” (a Korean boyband), she wants to try Korean cuisine. Now I have some Korean recipes in my collection that I can’t wait to share with you!
Another way of making this dish extra special is by adding udon noodles. Actually, I did another batch with udon noodles and my family can’t have enough! Though categorized as a snack, you can even have this for lunch or dinner because it’s so filling! If you are not into spicy food, simply use gochujang without any red chili pepper flakes. To make it really spicy, adding more red chili pepper flakes is the way to increase the heat level without altering the saltiness and sweetness.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Tteokbokki
- One of the ingredients is anchovies. To make it into a vegan dish, instead of anchovy broth, use water or vegetable broth for vegetarian or vegan tteokbokki. Simply omit the fish cake, or substitute it with fried tofu.
- 10 pieces sticky rice tubes recipe in post
- 10 pieces dried anchovies or vegetable broth
- 1 pc dried kelp optional
- 6 cups water
- 2 ½ tbsp gochujang red chili paste
- 2 tbsp red hot pepper powder
- 2 ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 3 boiled eggs
- 1 cup fish cakes sliced, you can also use kikiam or fishballs
- ½ cup scallions
For the sauce
- In a small bowl, mix the gochujang red chili paste, pepper powder, and brown sugar then set aside.
Making the Tteokbokki
- Add the water, dried anchovies, and dried kelp to a pot. Boil for 15 minutes over medium-high heat without the lid.
- Remove the anchovies and kelp from the pot and add the sticky rice tubes. Boil for 3 minutes then add the spicy sauce you made earlier. Stir gently with a wooden spoon
- Add the fish cakes, boiled eggs, and scallions then lower the heat. Keep stirring until the rice cake turns soft and the sauce thickens and looks shiny, which should take about 10 -15 minutes. If the rice cake is not soft enough, add more water and continue stirring until soft.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve while hot! Bon Appetit!