Mamon is a Filipino sponge cake that is popular as an afternoon snack in the Philippines. You can buy this cupcake size snack at local bakeries or bakeshop chains. Filipinos are fond of this soft mini cakes that we have a piece or two in our bags if we get hungry. A good mamon has soft, fluffy and light texture. Brush lightly with butter on top and sprinkle some cheese. Voila! Heaven! Let’s start and get down to it so you can enjoy this soft, delicious cake with family and friends!
It’s something you don’t get tired of because it has become part of what the Filipino palate.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Mamon (Filipino Sponge Cake)
- Use vegetable oil and not butter for a more light and fluffy cake.
- Sifting the cake flour, baking powder and salt is the traditional procedure for this recipe.
Mamon (Mini Sponge Cakes)
- 4 eggs separate yolks from whites
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup and two tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup and 2 tbsp. cake flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 100 grams soften butter
- cheese grated
- Pre-heat oven at 160°C and grease 6 pieces cupcake molds
Preparing dry ingredients
- Combine cake flour, baking powder and salt and sift three times in a bowl. Set aside.
Preparing wet ingredients
- In a bowl. Put egg yolks, sugar, water and oil. Mix using wire whisk until sugar is completely dissolved then add vanilla extract. Set aside
Making the meringue
- If you are using a stand mixer, attached the whisk and set in medium speed. Beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and beat for a minute then add the sugar gradually until stiff peak and glossy.
Making the batter
- Take the bowl of wet ingredients and add the meringue. Add gradually the dry ingredients (ideally in three batches) and fold gently using a wire whisk to avoid deflating the meringue. Fold until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Transfer into you prepared cupcake molds. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Baking time may vary depending on the oven.
- Take out from the oven and quickly flip the molds into a tray so it wont deflate and to keep it’s form. Let cool down and remove from molds.
- Brush the top with soften butter and sprinkle some sugar and cheese. Bon Appetit!