A cinnamon roll recipe from scratch that is great for experienced bakers or beginners. Extra soft rolls with an amazing cinnamon swirl and cream cheese frosting! A copycat Cinnabon that is almost as good if not better.
I make a batch of homemade cinnamon rolls “whenever” I have cravings, and that shows you just how easy it is to make. The dough is easy to work with, so it’s great for beginners. I’ll also share with you tips when working with yeast. You will never eat a softer, fluffy cinnamon rolls that melts in your mouth.
If you are a fan of Cinnabon cinnamon rolls, this recipe is for you. You can do a lot with these rolls and take it to the next level. Try mixing in raisins, chocolate chips… etc. It’s the best cinnamon rolls recipe that’s tasty on its own or with cream cheese icing!
Why You’ll Want To Make It
Notes On Some Ingredients
Tips For Using Yeast
Mia’s Baking Tips
How To Serve And Store
You May Also Like
Cinnamon Rolls ala Cinnabon
- 10 grams white granulated sugar
- 50 ml warm water
- 5 grams active dry yeast
- 8 grams salt
- 1 large egg
- 40 grams sugar
- 150 ml hot water
- 40 grams unsalted butter (cut into cubes)
- 500 grams bread flour
- 3 tsp cinnamon powder
- 160 grams brown sugar
- 50 grams melted butter (for brushing the dough with)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tbsp milk
- 70 grams powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 35 grams melted butter
- 130 grams cream cheese
Making The Dough
- Mix in warm water and sugar in a small bowl then add active dry yeast and stir. Set aside for 5 minutes to bloom or until foam forms.10 grams white granulated sugar, 50 ml warm water, 5 grams active dry yeast
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the bread flour, sugar, and salt. Add egg, activated yeast then mix using a stand mixer with hook attachment over medium speed.8 grams salt, 40 grams sugar, 500 grams bread flour, 1 large egg
- While mixing, add hot water and cubed butter. Knead for 8-10 minutes or until soft and elastic dough forms.150 ml hot water, 40 grams unsalted butter
- Form dough into a ball and transfer in a well-oiled bowl. Coat dough with a small amount of vegetable oil then cover with plastic wrap.
- Rest dough for 30 minutes – 1 hour or until double in size. Prepare filling ingredients ready.
Make the Cinnamon Filling
- While waiting for the dough to rise, place brown sugar and cinnamon powder in a small bowl and mix until fully combined. Set aside.3 tsp cinnamon powder, 160 grams brown sugar
- After dough has doubled in size, transfer dough to a lightly-floured flat surface and roll out into a 14×10 inch rectangle using a rolling pin.
- Brush surface of the dough with melted butter then sprinkle cinnamon mixture over the buttered dough.50 grams melted butter
- Rub the cinnamon sugar mixture into the butter making sure that the surface is covered.
- Tightly roll dough up, starting from the 14-inch side and place seam side down making sure to seal the edges of the dough as best you can.
- Cut off about an inch off the ends of the dough and disregard.
- Cut into 1 inch or 2 inches sections with a knife or dough cutter. You should get 8-9 large pieces.
- Arrange cinnamon rolls in a 9×9 inch baking pan lined with parchment paper or round 9 inch baking dish. Cover with clean kitchen towel and let rise again for 30-45 minutes. Pre heat oven at 180°C/356°F.
- Bake cinnamon rolls for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Allow them to cool for 5-10 minutes before frosting.
Make The Frosting
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, milk, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and fluffy.4 tbsp milk, 70 grams powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 35 grams melted butter, 130 grams cream cheese
- Spread over cinnamon rolls then serve and enjoy! Bon appetit.