Light and fluffy brioche buns and bread that you can comfortably make at home! The dough is effortless to make with a few simple steps and is easy to handle. Great as hamburger buns or on its own!
Living in Paris, France allowed me to really appreciate and enjoy bread. I’ve tried them all since there’s a “boulangerie” only 20 steps away from where I live. Artisan breads, baguettes, madeleines and what not are yummy but brioche have a special place in my heart. This recipe for brioche is straight-forward so even if you’re new to baking you’ll be able to enjoy your very own homemade brioche.
What is brioche?
Brioche is a French yeast bread which is a tad sweet that is soft and fluffy. Made with butter, eggs and a touch of sugar, to create a flavorful bread with soft golden crust . The dough for brioche can be made into a loaf, buns or rolls.
Shape them the way you want!
Brioche buns and bread comes in different shapes and sizes and your imagination is the limit on how you want them to come out of the oven. Here are some of the classic ways to shape the dough before baking.
Braided brioche loaf – This can be achieved by dividing the dough into 3 equal portions then shaped each dough into a “rope”, after which forming a braid with the 3 “ropes”. This classic braided loaf can be either baked in the loaf pan or in a baking tray.
Brioche buns – Shape the dough into balls, gently flatten each piece like a pancake. Gather the ends and pinch the dough to seal in the center. Flip the dough over, cup the surface with your palm, and roll into a balls.
Investing in a weighing scale will ensure uniform sized buns and breads by weighing then shaping each dough before baking.
Make sure your butter is softened and your eggs are at room temperature before starting.
Using a stand mixer to mix and knead the dough makes the job much easier.
Avoid adding a lot of extra flour to your dough if you don’t want hard bread or buns. The dough will normally be soft and a bit sticky. Coat your hands with flour and work surface to make working with the dough easier.
Top brioche with sugar pearls/chocolate chips for a tastier snack on its own or with a cup of coffee or tea.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Other bread recipes that you may like:
Coffee buns or Kopi Roti are soft dome-shaped buns covered with sweet and crumbly coffee cookie crust, with warm and buttery filling.
Hotdog Rolls are light, soft and most of all kid-friendly. These Asian style pigs in a blanket are real crowd-pleasers. Soft buns and meaty hotdogs that everyone will enjoy!
Brioche Buns and Bread
- 6 eggs weighing 300 grams
- 500 grams bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 10 grams salt
- 50 grams sugar
- 0.80 grams instant yeast or 20 grams fresh yeast
- 250 grams butter softened in room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water or milk
- In a mixing bowl, place flour, eggs, sugar, yeast and salt. Beat for 2 minutes using a stand mixer in low setting until incorporated.
- Scrape sides of the mixing bowl then beat again. Gradually add butter while beating until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Remove dough from mixing bowl and shape into a ball. Transfer in a clean bowl and cover with cling wrap. Let rise for 1 hour or until double in size.
- After 1 hour, remove cling wrap and lightly press center of dough to release gas. Cover again with cling wrap and refrigerate for 1 ½ hour to make handling of the dough easier.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator. Cut into desired shape: 1) Buns – cut and weigh 50 grams of dough and shape into a ball then place in a baking tray line with parchment paper. 2) Braided loaf – Cut and weigh 3 x 150 grams of dough and shape into a rope. Braid dough rope and place in a loaf pan.
- Cover dough with clean kitchen towel and let rise for 30 minutes or until double in size. Pre heat oven at 180°C or 356°F.
- Make egg wash by mixing 1 egg yolk and 1 tbsp water. Apply egg wash by brushing dough on top. Bake dough in the pre heated oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let it cool down before removing from baking tray or loaf pan. Bon appetit!