Mojo Potatoes are great as appetizers, snack, or as a side for pizza, chicken or pasta. These crispy and crunchy potato slices made famous by Shakey’s Pizza are a crowd pleaser and so easy to make!
Shakey’s style mojo potatoes are known for their crispy exterior, tangy flavor, and aromatic spices. The seasoning ingredients typically includes a blend of herbs and spices, giving them a distinct and flavorful taste.
We really enjoy these crunchy, perfectly seasoned fried potatoes as a side dish with pizza. To give the fried battered potato slices a boost of flavor, try dipping it with my homemade gravy.
Mojo Potatoes Shakey’s Style
Mojos are a popular menu item at Shakey’s Pizza, a restaurant chain known for its pizza and chicken. They are basically thick-sliced unpeeled potatoes that are battered and deep-fried to create a crispy exterior while maintaining a soft and tender interior.
Mojo Potatoes can be enjoyed on their own or paired with dipping sauces such as gravy, ranch dressing, or sour cream. These are so easy to make, and you can whip up a batch of these for your movie night or these can be served as a side dish.
Notes On Some Ingredients
2 Ways Of Cooking
Deep-frying: Frying produces a crispy and golden exterior while maintaining a tender inside. The battered potato pieces are submerged in hot oil until they turn golden brown. Deep-frying ensures a satisfying crunch and enhances the overall flavor of the dish.
Baking: For a slightly healthier alternative, mojo potatoes can be baked in the oven. After coating with batter, the potatoes are placed on a baking sheet and cooked at a high temperature until they become crispy on the outside. Although the texture may differ slightly from deep-fried mojos, the baked version still offers a delightful eating experience.
You May Also Like
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp 5 spice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cups cold water
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Cut potatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices leaving the skin on. Wash thoroughly in cold water then pat dry with paper towel.2 large potatoes
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt, curry powder, 5 spice, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper.1 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 tsp curry powder, 1/4 tsp 5 spice, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Separate 2/3 cup of the seasoned flour mixture into a shallow dish to be used for dredging the potato slices. Set aside.
- Add beaten egg and water into the mixing bowl then whisk until smooth batter forms. Preheat enough oil to 350°F in a deep fryer or large pot.1 egg, 2/3 cups cold water, vegetable oil
- Tip in the potato slices into the batter making sure all pieces are coated.
- Dredge battered potato slices one by one into the flour mixture the was set aside earlier.
- Place flour-dredged potatoes on a wire rack to let set for a few seconds.
- Carefully drop potatoes into the hot oil and deep fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the mojos and transfer them into a plate lined with a paper towel or dripping tray.
- Serve while warm as a snack or side dish with gravy dipping sauce. Bon appetit!