Choco Butternut Loaf is an easy little quick cake recipe I threw together recently. This cake recipe is a copycat of one of the flavors from Dunkin Donuts munchkins. You know? the one with the orange crumb-like coating? Anyway, this will surely blow you away with its moist chocolate and yummy butternut coating! A surefire way to impress family and friends!
This orange-coated cake loaf will make you crave for this childhood classic mini donuts we grew up with. I remember when my mom would bring home a box of munchkins and this is the first flavor I’d get. But there’s one small problem with munchkins. They’re too small and you always want more! So, voila! Introducing the big sized choco butternut loaf! It won’t keep you hanging and wanting for more!
Making these incredible loaf cake comes in three stages. First is the chocolate cake and then you do the ganache and lastly the butternut coating. Sounds difficult? It’s not. You don’t even need any special equipment to make it. So let’s get baking and get ready to impress your friends!
You might also want to try our other bread recipes:
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Choco Butternut Loaf
- Enjoy this delectable cake as snack or dessert with coffee or your favorite cold drinks.
Choco Butternut Loaf
For Chocolate Cake/Loaf
- 2 cups sugar
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup dutch cocoa powder not the drinking cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ tsp coffee
For Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup whipping cream
For Butternut Toppings
- 2 cups desiccated coconut/ ground fine almond powder finer is better
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ¼ cup powder sugar
- 2 drops orange food coloring
- ½ tsp nutmeg powder
Making the chocolate cake/loaf
- Preheat oven to 190˚C.Prepare and grease loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Add eggs, milk, and oil the whisk together.
- In a small bowl mix hot water and coffee and pour in to the batter. Whisk until well incorporated but do not over-mix. NOTE: batter should be runny.
- Pour in the prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes. When done baking, remove from oven and let it cool down before removing from the loaf pan.
Making the chocolate ganache
- Boil water in a medium size pot, In a stainless bowl (bigger than the pot), pour whipping cream and place the bowl on the pot with boiling water.
- When the whipping cream starts to simmer, remove from heat and pour in the dark chocolate chips. Let sit for 5 minutes or until dark chocolate is completely melted. When chocolate is melted mix to incorporate. Set aside
Making butternut coat
- Add all the ingredients into a medium bowl.
Work the mixture until well combined and all of the coconut and almond powder are colored. Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet and dry bake for 10 minutes at 140°C. NOTE: Mix halfway to avoid burning the coconut.
- Place the chocolate cake/loaf in a serving dish and spread the ganache evenly on the cake. Coat with the butternut until whole cake is covered. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 1 hour. Serve and Enjoy! Bon appetit!