This Vegetable Okoy recipe is different from the ones we usually see. It’s simple yet delicious and healthy. Serve this crispy okoy with hot white rice and it’s sure to be a favorite.
A Filipino snack or appetizer that everyone enjoys especially with spicy vinegar dipping sauce. This Filipino ukoy or vegetable fritters that are fried until golden brown are so easy to make. Once I start frying a batch, no one can resist peeking in the kitchen to see if they’re ready to be munched on.
This healthy take on the delicious Philippine street food uses easy to find ingredients. What’s even better is, you can use scrap vegetables sitting in your fridge. So don’t throw away left-over vegetables and turn them into a tasty vegetable dish with this okoy recipe.
Okoy or ukoy was popularized by street vendors in the Philippines. The fritters are usually shaped as disc and fried to golden, crispy, perfection. It’s a versatile dish that can be an afternoon snack, appetizer or a side with steamed rice for dinner.
Normally, ukoy is made of shrimp, papaya, squash or bean sprouts then mixed with simple batter to bind the ingredients. This mixed vegetable okoy only incorporates vegetables like carrots, malunggay, and sweet potato. It’s ideal for veggie lovers or kids that are picky eaters.
How to make the spicy vinegar dipping sauce?
To fully enjoy okoy na gulay, an amazing dipping sauce of spicy vinegar is needed. The following dipping sauce ingredients are what you need. Mix everything in a small bowl until incorporated.
You May Also Like
- 2 pcs sweet potatoes (cut into thin strips)
- 1/4 pc squash (cut into thin strips)
- 1 pc courgette/zucchini (cut into thin strips)
- 1 stalk green onion (cut into thin strips)
- 1 medium onion (cut into thin strips)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups vegetable oil (for cooking)
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together vegetable strips, salt, pepper, garlic powder.2 pcs sweet potatoes, 1/4 pc squash, 1 pc courgette/zucchini, 1 stalk green onion, 1 medium onion, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder
- Tip in cornstarch and all-purpose flour and mix to incorporate flour with vegetables.3/4 cup cornstarch, 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Crack eggs then add to the vegetable mixture. Mix until fully combined and batter forms.2 whole eggs
- Heat vegetable oil using a deep frying pan or wok over medium high heat.2 cups vegetable oil
- In a small plate or saucer, pour a 2-3 tbsp of batter and then when oil is hot enough, slide the ukoy gently into the frying pan. Try to anchor the batter with a spatula so it won’t spread out.
- Cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden and crispy. Repeat the process with remaining batter. Serve and enjoy. Bon Appetit!