When asked what is one of my favorite comfort food, chicken sopas is the first thing that pops into my head. Creamy, hearty, and flavorful soup that will keep you warm in cold weather. This is the version of chicken noodle soup in the Philippines.
In the Philippines, we have storms at an average of 20 per year. Here in France, I have never experienced any storms until last Sunday. It was cold, wet, and gusty. Since we stayed home over the weekend I made this chicken sopas soup. Not only did it warmed us but it also lifted our mood. Something you can always expect after a bowl of this creamy Filipino soup. And what’s even greater is you can put this together in 30 minutes!
How to Make creamy Chicken Sopas
Thankfully, our recipe is so easy, you can even make it tonight! You start off by boiling 250 grams of boneless chicken breast in water. Once it’s cooked through, remove it from the pot and save the broth for later use. Shred the chicken using two forks then set aside. Using a medium-sized cooking pot, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat. Once the butter melts, add the cooking oil and saute onion and garlic. Next up is the shredded chicken, let it cook with the onion and garlic for some minutes.
Add sliced hotdogs and let them cook a bit. When ready, add carrots and let simmer soft and tender. Put in elbow macaroni and mix with the other ingredients, then pour the chicken broth you saved. You can add more water if needed if the broth is not enough then cover to simmer for a while. Add salt, pepper, and milk and cover again. When the macaroni is cooked, add the cabbage and stir to incorporate. Let it simmer for a few and when the cabbage is done, well that’s the signal that it’s ready. Just taste and adjust with seasoning if needed. Enjoy!
You might also like:
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for creamy Chicken Sopas
- As the soup sits, the macaroni soaks up the broth: When reheating the soup, add a bit more broth/stock to the pot. You can also add plain water to the soup when reheating. As long as you don’t need to add a lot, it won’t thin the flavor of the soup too much.
- Use high-quality stock/broth, When choosing store-bought broth, go for low-sodium. We also look for broth that’s darker in color (usually means more flavor)
- 500 grams elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 250 grams chicken breast
- 1 medium carrots (julienned)
- ½ cabbage (sliced)
- 10 pcs. chicken hotdogs (sliced)
- 1 ½ cup evaporated milk
- 6 to 8 cups of water
- salt and pepper (for seasoning)
- 1 pc chicken broth cube
- In a small cooking pot pour water and tip in the chicken breast. Bring to a boil until the chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the pot and save the broth for later use.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken and set aside.
- In a medium cooking pot melt the butter over medium heat. When butter melts add cooking oil.
- When hot enough, add the onion and cook until translucent. Then add the garlic and saute until cooked.
- Add shredded chicken breast, stir and cook for a minute. Add the hot dog. Quickly stir and cover to simmer. Add the carrots and cook until soft and tender.
- Add the elbow macaroni then pour the water used to boil the chicken. Also, pour the remaining water NOTE: Add more if needed. Stir, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Add salt, pepper, and broth cube. stir and cover for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Pour the evaporated milk. Stir, let boil, cover and cook for another 3 minutes. When the macaroni is cooked, add cabbage then stir and cover.
- Simmer for about 7-8 mins or until the cabbage is soft then taste and adjust. Serve and enjoy. Bon appetit!