Thai Green Chicken Curry will be a mainstay in your menu once you tried this recipe! Using our homemade green curry paste or store-bought curry paste, it’s a guaranteed hunger-quencher! You will enjoy the color, the spiciness, and how aromatic the creamy sauce is.
I guess your ears are ringing on how many times you heard me say “we love curry!”. Well, we do and this chicken curry is probably one of the best. A favorite pick when we eat out here in Paris and now something I love cooking for dinner. I would highly suggest making your own green curry paste because it’s the closest thing, flavor-wise, you can get your curry to be. But as they say “you can’t win every time” so store-bought curry paste will do just fine.
How to make Thai Green Chicken Curry
An important step in cooking green curry dishes is to saute/fry the curry paste in two tablespoons of coconut milk or cooking oil. This will ensure that the ingredients of the paste are cooked well and flavors are infused, especially homemade paste. When the aroma from the paste starts filling up your kitchen, add the chicken and mix to coat with curry paste. Let it cook for a while then add fish sauce and let the chicken absorb the sauce for 4-5 minutes. When the chicken is semi-done, add the coconut milk and bring to a boil. It’s pretty straight forward from here, just add bamboo shoots then bell pepper and simmer until chicken is cooked through.
You might also like:
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Thai Green Chicken Curry
- You can switch out the chicken for another protein of choice, or make it meat-free by adding Thai eggplant and lots of bamboo shoot.
Thai Green Chicken Curry
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut milk for saute/frying the curry paste
- 200 grams Thai green curry paste homemade or store-bought
- 1 kilo chicken (I used thigh and leg parts) you can use whatever part you prefer then slice
- ¼ cup Thai fish sauce or any fish sauce or 2 tbsp salt
- 1 ½ cup bamboo shoot
- ½ cup red bell pepper optional (sliced)
- 2 pcs red chili optional (whole)
- Heat 2 tbsp of coconut milk in a pot over medium heat. Let it simmer until the oil separates.
- Add the green curry paste and stir. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Tip in the chicken and stir to coat with curry paste. Let cook until no pink is visible. Pour the fish sauce then simmer and cover so the chicken will absorb the sauce.
- When chicken is cooked through, add the 2 cups coconut milk then mix. Cover with lid and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the bamboo shoot and let it cook or until tender. Add the red bell pepper and red chili then simmer. When the bell pepper is soft then taste and adjust with salt if needed.
- Transfer in a serving dish and serve with steamed rice. Bon appetit!