Lumpiang gulay or spring rolls filled with healthy veggies! Cooked bean sprouts, carrots, green beans, and cabbage in crunchy spring roll wrapper. These vegetarian rolls are not just good for your health but are really delicious.
You might have seen this recipe a thousand times but what I’m putting on the table now is the basic recipe. You can customize it to your liking and even add protein for meat lovers out there. This lumpia is simply delicious even more so when dipped in vinegar with red onion. Personally, when I cooked these vegetable spring rolls, I don’t even need rice. It’s a great dish for a light dinner or a snack. Try this fool-proof recipe today and I can guarantee that you’ll enjoy every crunchy bite!
How to make Lumpiang Gulay
Let’s start off with the size of spring roll wrapper we’ll be using. I used 8 1/2 in. by 8 1/2 in wrappers. These are fairly sized rolls so don’t buy the small ones. Once that’s sorted, gather ingredients like bean sprouts, green beans, a carrot, cabbage, onion, and garlic. For seasoning, I used salt, pepper, fish sauce, and shrimp broth cubes. After cutting up the vegetables, heat oil in a pan and saute onion and garlic add the vegetables except for the bean sprouts. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes then add salt, pepper, broth cube, and fish sauce. Simmer again for a few minutes until the vegetables are soft then add the bean sprouts and cook until soft.
When done cooking, use a strainer to drain the liquid from the vegetables and let it cool down a bit. Once it’s cool enough to handle take a piece of wrapper and it flat on a big plate (one corner pointing to you). Place 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoon of cooked vegetables on the center of the wrapper. Fold the corner pointed at you upwards and then fold the left and right corners inward. By now, it will look like an envelope. Now roll until the vegetables are secured. Seal the end of the wrapper by dipping your finger in water and run it over the end of the last corner of the wrapper. Place in a different plate with the sealed corner facing down to keep it in place. Repeat until you finish all the vegetables.
You might also like
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Lumpiang Gulay
- As I said, you can customize this recipe to your liking: You can add a protein like pork or shrimps. Here are the steps on how to go about it.
- Add 200 grams ground pork after sauteeing the onion and garlic.
- Add 200 grams of no-shell, deveined and chopped shrimps after sauteeing the onion and garlic.
- You can also add 180 grams extra-firm tofu. Cut into small cubes and fry them until golden then mix with the cooked vegetable before wrapping.
- 500 grams beans sprouts
- 500 grams green beans (stemmed and cut thinly)
- 1 large carrots (julienned)
- 500 grams cabbage (chopped)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 piece shrimp cube
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 10 spring roll wrapper (8½ inch by 8½ in. dimension)
Cooking the vegetables
- Pour cooking oil in a pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot enough, add the onion and garlic then saute until fragrant and translucent.
- Add washed vegetables except for the beans sprouts. Stir-mix and cover, let simmer for about 10 mins while stirring every 3 mins.
- When the vegetables are soft, add the fish sauce, salt, pepper, and shrimp cube. Mix, cover then simmer for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes you can add the beans sprout and mix it into the vegetables then cover again and simmer for additional 5 mins.
- Then when all the vegetables are soft you can taste and adjust if needed. Drain the vegetables using strainer and let it cool.
Wrapping and cooking the spring rolls
- Once it's cool enough to handle take a piece of wrapper and it flat on a big plate (one corner pointing to you). Place 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoon of cooked vegetables on the center of the wrapper. Fold the corner pointed at you upwards and then fold the left and right corners inward. By now, it will look like an envelope. Now roll until the vegetables are secured. Seal the end of the wrapper by dipping your finger in water and run it over the end of the last corner of the wrapper. Place in a different plate with the sealed corner facing down to keep it in place. Repeat until you finish all the vegetables.
- Heat 1 cup of cooking oil over medium heat. Add spring rolls seam side down and fry, turning once or twice, for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy.
- Once cooked, let drain on a wire rack or a serving dish lined with kitchen paper towels. Serve with vinegar with red onion and chili. Bon appetit!