Steamed pork ribs with black bean sauce is the perfect easy weeknight meal! A classic Chinese dish that combines the savory and slightly salty taste of fermented black beans with the succulence of pork ribs, creating an explosion of flavors.
This steamed pork ribs recipe is really easy to make. It’s one way of enjoying pork without the use of cooking oil. A healthy and delicious dish that is perfect for family dinner or sharing with friends. The tender meat melts in your mouth and the sauce has a rich taste that is simply amazing.
Getting a whiff of the dish while steaming is insanely aromatic and builds up an appetite. Everyone rushed in to the dinner table the first time I served this steamed pork dish! This mouthwatering recipe is so flavorful that it will make your taste buds ask for more. And, if you tried it, let me know how it went!
What Is Steamed Pork Ribs?
Steamed pork ribs is a dim sum dish which are small, bite-sized pieces of riblets that have been marinated and then steamed to perfection. This dish is often known as “pai gwut” or “pai gwat” in Cantonese, and it is a popular addition to the dim sum menu along with chicken feet .
Ordering a meal at traditional dim sum restaurants is a fun and unique experience but can also be enjoyed at home. This Chinese steamed spare ribs recipe is as good as the one from restaurants if not better. It can be served as dim sum or even as a main course with a side of steamed rice.
Why You’ll Love This Dish
Notes On Some Ingredients
How To Serve And Store
You May Also Like
Steamed Pork Ribs with Black Beans
Pork Ribs Preparation
- 1 kilo pork short ribs (small cuts)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbsp fermented black beans (tausi)
- 3 tsp shaoxing wine (or rice cooking wine)
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce (or light soy sauce)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper (or white pepper)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp green onion (optional)
- Place pork riblets in a bowl then add 1 tbsp. cornstarch. Massage pork with cornstarch for a couple of minutes.1 kilo pork short ribs, 1 tbsp cornstarch
- Add water and massage again to remove excess blood and grime from fork ribs.6 cups water
- Rinse ribs in running water and squeeze out any excess liquid from the pork ribs and return ribs into the bowl.
- Add fermented black beans, garlic, oyster sauce, salt, pepper, shaoxing wine, sesame oil and cornstarch. Mix until ingredients are incorporated and ribs are fully coated.1 tbsp fermented black beans, 3 tsp shaoxing wine, 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil, 3 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp ground black pepper, 3 cloves garlic, 2 tsp cornstarch
- Cover with cling wrap and marinate for at least 1 hour or over night.
- Transfer marinated beef in a steam-safe shallow bowl or small potions in small plates.
- In a wok or wide pot, place a trivet then add enough water until it is level with the top of the trivet.
- Carefully place the bowl of ribs on top of the trivet. Double check to make sure that there's a little bit of water touching the bottom surface of the bowl.
- Cover with lid and steam ribs for 45 minutes or until pork is tender.
- Remove from heat the garnish with some green onions and chili. Serve and enjoy. Bon Appetit!1 tsp chili flakes, 1 tsp green onion
- If you are using a small steamer, you can divide the pork and sauce in two bowl and use two levels of your steamer.