Pork Siomai is a traditional Chinese dumpling that is a well-liked snack in the Philippines. Often made of ground pork, beef, shrimp, among others. Combined with extenders like garlic, green peas, carrots and the like that make it tasty. One way of cooking them is by steaming while others fry them. Want to make it more enjoyable to eat? Dip it in soy sauce with calamansi juice with chili-garlic oil added to the sauce.
I love my Shumai with lots of chili oil! I remember going to food stalls after shopping and just snack on them. A really delicious treat after a long day of walking around the mall. LOL! You can also try our Gyoza recipe which is somewhat similar to Shumai except for the way you wrap them.
There are actually a lot of Pork Siomai Recipes out there, some may be different from others. The preparation and cooking procedures are similar. The difference is in the ingredients and amount used. Learning the basics of cooking this dish will help you in exploring other possibilities!
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Pork Siomai
- To make eating Siomai more enjoyable try it with some chili oil. Just combine chopped chillies and minced garlic then simmer for around 20 minutes or till most of the water has evaporated. Add oil, simmer and stir well.
- 500 grams ground pork
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder (or fresh garlic chopped finely)
- 1 tbsp onion powder (or fresh onion chopped finely)
- 3 tbsp parsley (chopped finely)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 egg (beaten)
- siomai wrapper (for wrapping)
- Mix all the ingredients for the filling in a mixing bowl.
- Let rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour to marinate the marinate.
- Take a siomai wrapper and scoop 1 tbsp of the meat mixture and place on the center of the wrapper.
- Gather sides of wrapper to form a "cup" around the filling and seal. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Arrange siomai in a single layer about quarter inch apart on steamer basket and steam for about 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through. Gently remove from steamer and serve hot with dipping sauce. Bon Appetit!