This chicken tikka masala recipe brings the well-loved chicken curry dish to your dinner table! Rich and tasty chicken chunks in creamy, flavorful curry sauce. Top it on rice or with naan bread, whatever you choose, the tikka masala on its own is amazing!
We fell in love with Indian food during the few years we stayed in the U.K. It can be butter chicken on a Monday then chicken tikka masala on Wednesday and so on. This started me to try and cook Indian cuisine with the help of Indian friends we made over there. This homemade recipe will let you enjoy chicken tikka masala in your very own homes!
What makes a Chicken Tikka Masala
Boneless chicken chunks marinated in yogurt and spices then grilled and served in creamy curry sauce is the traditional way to make tikka masala. There’s no standard recipe for making this chicken dish, in fact, it’s almost similar to making butter chicken. The variation from butter chicken or “murgh makhani” is that tikka masala uses tomato gravy.
Homemade Chicken Tikka Masala
By definition of “homemade” this chicken recipe will make it easier to make at home. By cooking the chicken pieces in a skillet on non-stick pan, we removed the need to fire-up the grill outside but still keep in those tasty flavors. Searing the chicken cutlets forms a crust on the surface of the meat that increase the savory flavor of the final dish.
Some tips for an amiable experience
You can either use chicken thighs or breast. I used chicken breast for this recipe so I don’t have to de-bone but for more flavorful chicken use thighs.
Sear and fry chicken in two or three batches to avoid over-crowding. This will result in a more evenly cooked chicken.
Marinate the chicken chunks for a minimum of 30 minutes. For best results, marinate overnight for the flavors to really seep in.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Other chicken recipes you may like:
Crispy Breaded Chicken Cutlets with tender, juicy chicken! This recipe is quick and easy yet undeniably delicious! Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
Spicy General Tso’s Chicken recipe is about as easy as it gets. Sweet, salty, spicy, and sour flavors all join to create a truly delicious meal that rivals the best take-out restaurants.
Delicious and exotic aromas will waft in kitchen when you cook up this rich and creamy dish! Adieu, MIA
Chicken Tikka Masala
MARINATE FOR CHICKEN
- 4 pcs chicken breast (cut into bite-sized chunks)
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds or powder
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 thumb sized ginger (grated)
- 2 cloves garlic (grated)
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- additional 3 tbsp. cooking oil for frying.
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE
- ½ cup onion (chopped )
- ⅔ cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1-2 tbsp sugar (optional)
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
Marinating and Cooking the chicken.
- Place chicken chunks in a bowl and add all marinating ingredients. Mix well to incorporate and marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan or skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot enough, add chicken pieces in batches making sure not to crowd the pan. Fry for 3 – 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Set aside
Making the sauce
- Using the same pan, sauté onion until translucent. Add tomato paste and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Tip in salt, turmeric, coriander, chili flakes, chili powder, sugar and cumin and cook for about 1 minute. Taste and adjust saltiness or sweetness depending on your preference.
- Add cooked chicken and mix until all chunks are coated with the sauce. Gradually add water while stirring.
- Let simmer for 3-5 minutes then add whipping cream and stir. Continue cooking for 3 more minutes until sauce is creamy and oil starts to separate.
- Remove from heat and transfer in a serving dish. Bon appetit!