Sweet & Sour Fish is a dish that I think everyone is familiar with. This classic restaurant-style Chinese fish recipe is quick and easy to prepare. A delicious combination of sweet and sour with amazing fried fish!
This dish can be a quick weekday meal or serve on special occasions. Not all fish are suitable, taste-wise, with the sauce. Usually, white-fleshed fish with very subtle flavors are good choices. The breaded fillet with the sweet and sour sauce is so delicious and satisfying. My family really enjoys this dish whether it’s a weekday meal or weekend indulgence.
How to make Sweet and Sour Fish
To make the sweet and sour sauce, Combine water, tomato sauce, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Sautee garlic and onion in a pan then pour the mixture you made then let simmer for some minutes. Tip in bell peppers and cook until tender and add cornstarch diluted in water to thicken the sauce. Cook for about 2 minutes more until the sauce thickens then pour over fried fish fillets and tofu and toss to coat everything with the sauce. Serve it with fried rice or steamed rice. Visually appealing and balanced in flavor.
You might also like to try our other fish recipes
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Sweet and Sour Fish
- When buying tofu, choose the firm kind and not the soft. Coat with flour or cornstarch before frying for a crispy texture.
Sweet and Sour Fish
- 4 cod fish fillet or any white-fleshed fish
- 1 block tofu cut in cubes
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cooking oil for frying
- 3 cloves garlic crushed and minced
- 1 large onion sliced in big portions
- 1 knob ginger julienned
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar add more if needed
- 2 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 1 tbsp water thickening agent
Coating and frying the fish fillets and tofu
- Wash and clean the fish fillets and cut them into approx 1 in. x 1 in. (or your desired size). Season with salt and pepper and coat in flour individually.
- Pat dry tofu with kitchen towels the cut in cubes preferably the same size as fish. Season with salt and pepper and coat in flour individually.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add tofu and cook, turning once or twice, until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Set aside
- In the same pan. Add coated fish fillets and cook until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Set aside
Making the sweet and sour sauce
- In a small bowl. Combine water, tomato sauce,sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Set aside
- In a pan over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon oil. Saute onion, ginger, and garlic until translucent. Add the pre-mix sauce you just made and let simmer for 3-4 minutes. Taste and adjust according to your preference.
- Add the sliced green and red bell peppers and simmer again until vegetables are softer/tender. Add the cornstarch diluted in water gradually until desired thickness of the sauce is reached.
- Add fried fish fillets and tofu and cook, tossing gently, for about 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through and coated with sauce. Bon Appetit!