Sweet & Sour Fish is a dish that I think everyone is familiar with. This classic restaurant-styled Chinese fish recipe is quick and easy to prepare. This dish can be a quick weekday meal or serve on special occasions. Not all fish are suitable, taste-wise, with the sauce. Usually, white-fleshed fish with very subtle flavors are good choices. The breaded fillet with the sweet and sour sauce is so delicious and satisfying. My family really enjoy this dish whether it’s a weekday meal or week-end indulgence.
Serve it with a fried rice or steamed rice. Visually appealing and balanced in flavor.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Sweet and Sour Fish
- 4 cod fish fillet or any white-fleshed fish
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cooking oil for frying
- 3 cloves garlic crushed and minced
- 1 large onion sliced in big portions
- 1 ½ cup water
- ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 1 tbsp water thickening agent
Coating and frying the fish fillets
- Wash and clean the fish fillets and cut into approx 1 in. x 1 in. (or your desired size). Season with salt and coat in flour individually.
- In a pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add coated fish fillets and cook, turning once or twice, until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Set aside
Making the sweet and sour sauce
- In a small bowl. Combine water, tomato sauce,sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Set aside
- In a pan over medium heat, heat about 1 tablespoon oil. Saute onion and garlic until translucent. Add the pre-mix sauce you just made and let simmer for 3-4 minute. Taste and adjust according to your preference.
- Add the sliced green and red bell peppers and simmer again until vegetables are softer/tender. Add the cornstarch diluted in water gradually until desired thickness of the sauce is reached.
- Add fried fish fillets and cook, tossing gently, for about 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through and coated with sauce. Bon Appetit!