Eggless tiramisu (tiramiˈsu) is Italian, meaning “pick me up” or “cheer me up”. And why wouldn’t you? Just looking at it will entice you and a bite will surely cheer you up! This light and fluffy dessert will surely brighten up the most dour mood. I’ve had this recipe for as long as I can remember. I would usually prepare this for my daughter when she’s stressed out from school.
As the title says this recipe is eggless. When you see a recipe for eggless tiramisu, it is only the filling, that is egg free. The biscuits however, are still your standard, shop bought lady finger biscuits.
But, if you do like raw eggs, you can still incorporate them into the tiramisu. Experiment with the level of sweetness . That’s what cooking is about, — trial and error—to create food that measure to your standard.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Eggless Tiramisu
- For making a good tiramisu, or any dish really, is to use the best and freshest ingredients.
- 1 ½ cup whipping cream
- 250 grams mascarpone cheese
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp coffee essence (optional)
- 2 cups espresso (or 2 tbsp coffee granules dissolve in hot water (cooled down))
- 2 packs lady finger biscuits (add more if needed (store bought))
- cocoa (for dusting the top)
- In a mixing bowl. whisk the whipping cream using a hand-held whisk NOTE: if you’re using a stand mixer do it on low speed. Whisk until soft peak
- Add the mascarpone cheese and whisk. While whisking, gradually add sugar and coffee essence until stiff peak. Check for sweetness or bitterness and adjust.
- Make the espresso or the coffee mixture and pour in a bowl. Prepare a baking dish (16cm x 22 cm) to make the tiramisu.
- Quickly dip the lady finger biscuits into the coffee making sure its fully coated. and lay them down on the baking dish. NOTE: Do not dip too long or the biscuits will get soggy.
- Continue doing this until the bottom of the dish is covered. You can cut the biscuits in half so they fit snugly on the dish. Next, using a spoon, cover the biscuits with a layer of the mascarpone cream. Thickness is based on how you like it.
- Then repeat the process with the lady finger biscuits and lay them on top of the cream layer. Again, just like before, cover the biscuits with mascarpone cream. Lastly, dust the top with cocoa powder!Let chill for 1-2 hours to set and serve! Voila! Bon Appetit!