Mango Sticky Rice is a simple yet delicious dessert that is popular in Thailand. Traditionally, sticky rice is made by soaking it in water overnight like what I do when making bibingki (rice cake). You then cook the rice and sweeten with sugar and coconut milk. It may be unusual for others to eat mango with rice but trust me, It’s really good!
My husband does not want to try it at first because he finds eating mango with rice weird. After some persuasion, he took a bite and he loved that he even saved some for a midnight snack! A delectable snack or even dessert that you can share with your family and friends!
If you love mangoes, this easy and simple dessert recipe is for you. You can even experiment with other fruits like strawberries or kiwis. The sticky rice itself is a treat on its own with the coconut milk sauce. Have you tried this dessert? Be sure to let us know what you think. If not, try it and you won’t have regrets. Let us know!
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Mango Sticky Rice
- For best results, soak the glutinous rice overnight for easier cooking.
Mango Sticky Rice
- 2 cups glutinous rice
- water enough to cover the rice when soaking
- 6 ripe mangoes Peeled and cut into cubes or slices.
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- salt a pinch will do
For coconut milk sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 tbsp sugar
- salt a pinch will do
- In a large bowl. Soak glutinous rice with enough water to cover the rice overnight.
- Drain water from the glutinous rice and transfer in a cooking pot. Add coconut milk and 1 cup water. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes stirring every now and then to avoid burning the rice.
- When the water and coconut milk is absorb by the rice. add the sugar and a pinch of salt and stir until incorporated. Taste and adjust according to your preference. Set aside.
Making the coconut sauce.
- In a saucepan. Pour 1 cup of coconut, sugar, and salt. Cook over medium heat and stir continuously until you have a semi-thick consistency. Taste the sweetness and adjust if needed.
Preparing Mango Sticky Rice
- Place desired amount of sticky rice in a plate or bowl. Add mango cubes or slices and pour some coconut sauce on top of the sticky rice. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve. Bon Appetit!