Salmon Escabeche is an easy weekday dinner or something you can serve on special occasions. With the soft, delicate texture and mild flavor of salmon plus succulent sweet and sour sauce, this dish is a winner! Tilapia can also be used as a substitute for this recipe. This is something you and your family will thoroughly enjoy!
Escabeche is a classic Spanish recipe in which you sear meat or fish then marinate it in a vinegary sauce loaded with herbs and spices and serve it cold or at room temperature on a hot day. It works perfectly with fish. I chose salmon mainly because we love it! Although you can also use tilapia or Lapu-Lapu (grouper).
Just like my pan-fried tilapia with spicy sauce recipe, the sauce gives the fish a boost in taste. This is a must try for those who love the flavors of a sweet and sour dish. A terrific addition to your collection of fish recipes that will impress your family and friends!
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Salmon Escabeche
- If salmon is not readily available, you can also use any firm-fleshed fishes like tilapia, tanigue (mackerel), Maya-Maya (red snapper) or Lapu-Lapu (grouper).
- ½ kilo salmon fillet skin on (or whole tilapia)
- 2 tbsp salt (to season the fish)
- ½ cup flour (to coat the fish)
- ½ cup red and green bell peppers (cut into strips)
- 1 carrot (cut into strips)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 knob ginger (cut into strips)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cups water
- salt and pepper (for seasoning)
- 2 cups cooking oil
Slurry (thickening agent)
- 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch mixed with 3 tbsp of water
- Wash salmon fillet and pat dry with kitchen towels. Season both sides of the fillet with salt then dredge in flour. Set aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan over high heat. When oil is hot, add fish and cook, turning once until golden. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
- Using same pan. reduce the heat and remove some oil leaving only about 2 tbsp of oil. Saute garlic, onion, and ginger until fragrant and soft.
- Add carrots and mix for a few seconds. Pour in the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, water and dash with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes. NOTE: Do not cover the pan yet to release some of the vinegar's scent.
- After 5 minutes, add bell peppers then cover the pan and let simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Taste the sauce and adjust according to your preference. You can also add more water if needed.
- Lower the heat and add the slurry or thickening agent gradually. whisking continuously, for about 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Simmer again for 10 more minutes to remove the cornstarch taste.
- In a serving dish. Place the fried salmon and pour the sweet and sour sauce. Serve and enjoy! Bon Appetit!
Bonjour! Guys you gotta try this recipe. Its easy to cook & it comes up with the delicious taste. My kids love it.😍
I’m overjoyed that you liked the recipe! Happy cooking!
Please send me more recipes for fish and seafoods