Pancit Bihon (Filipino Fried Rice Noodles) is a classic Filipino noodle dish that is easy to make with simple ingredients. An easy and authentic pancit recipe for home cooks! This is a deliciously Filipino Pancit recipe that’s easy to prepare and ready in less than 30 minutes!
Why Bihon noodles? Well, because personally, they feel more delicate and light. Bihon noodle is just the perfect noddle for Southeast Asian flavors. Just like other Asian cuisines, there are several variations of it around the Philippines. Some include the addition of Chinese sausage, chorizo, or simply vegetarian. This homemade recipe includes fish cakes! Yes, yummy fish cakes that add a different dimension of flavor to the dish.
However, the basic ingredients are bihon or rice vermicelli or rice sticks, protein such as chicken, pork and/or shrimp, vegetables plus the seasonings. But you can experiment to see what best suits your taste. This is usually served at special occasions along with Lechon. But you can make it for your family for a weekend lunch or dinner. I absolutely love pairing this dish with Pork Siomai for a complete meal.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Pancit Bihon
- After cooking, you can keep the leftover in the fridge overnight or for up to a couple of days. Just make sure you cover the noodles with plastic wrap. You can reheat using a microwave before serving.
- If you don’t have a microwave, you can reheat in the skillet.
- 1 pack 8 ounces pancit bihon (rice noodles)
- 1 cup fish cakes (cut in cubes)
- 1 cup shrimps (heads removed)
- ½ cup ground pork
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup carrots (cut in strips)
- 1 cup cabbage (chopped)
- 3 cups shrimp broth
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ground black pepper (for seasoning)
- Soak the bihon or rice noodles in warm water, for 5-10 minutes or until they turn soft. Drain on a colander and set aside. Prepare the garlic, onions, and vegetables.
- Heat a wok or skillet on medium to high heat. Add the oil and stir fry the garlic and onions until the onions turn clear and garlic is fragrant. Add the fish cakes, fry until golden or cook through and set aside.
- Put in the shrimps and cook until pinkish in color. Remove from the skillet and set aside. Next stir-fry carrots and green beans for 1 minute then add fish sauce and soy sauce and stir until well incorporated.
- Pour in the shrimp broth and bring to a boil until beans and carrots are tender. Add cabbage and let simmer until soft. Remove vegetables from skillet to avoid overcooking and set aside.
- Place the noodle in the skillet and mix until noodles absorb the liquid. When the noodles are cooked, put back the vegetables, fish cakes, and shrimps. Carefully toss until all components are well distributed. Let simmer for 3 minutes and transfer in a serving dish. Bon Appetit!