Chicken Hamonado is a delicious Filipino dish cooked in pineapple juice and bits. This whole chicken recipe is so tasty and moist inside! Something you can make especially this coming holiday! Make your friends and family’s Christmas more special with this Chicken in pineapple juice!
Hamonado is meat marinated and cooked in a sweet pineapple sauce. In this case, I made chicken hamonado by sweetening the whole chicken with pineapple juice and seasonings then letting the flavors set in overnight in the refrigerator. Of course, the longer you leave the chicken in the marinade, the juicier and more flavorful the chicken will be.
You will surely enjoy the sweet fruity taste of pineapple juice added to the chicken. Marinade together with soy sauce, vinegar, peppercorns, onion, and garlic. You will be amazed how simple cooking this chicken recipe because it’s so simple even a novice can cook it. I usually marinate the chicken before cooking for the best results. This dish is best served with a cup of warm white rice.
You might also like:
- A family feast is more enjoyable with Lechon Pork Belly
- Lemon Herb Chicken
- Spicy General Tso’s Chicken
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Chicken Hamonado
- Marinating the chicken overnight is enough to make it tasty. There is also another way to make it tastier. Do it by reducing the sauce until the desired flavor level is reached. Simply let the chicken cook longer on low heat until the sauce slowly evaporates.
- Chicken is the main protein for this recipe. Pork and beef can also be used.
- 1 medium sized whole chicken giblets removed
- 4 cups pineapple juice and tidbits
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves crushed
- 2 tbsp cornstarch for slurry
- 1 tbsp water for slurry
Preparing the slurry
- Add 1 tbsp of water and 2 tbsp cornstarch in a small bowl. Mix until well combined. This will be used to thicken the sauce later.
Making the Chicken Hamonado
- Wash the chicken thoroughly and poke the body with the pointy end of a knife.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until incorporated. Cover the bowl with cling film and let marinate overnight. NOTE: turn the chicken every three hours to even out the color and taste.
- Transfer the chicken and the marinate sauce in a cooking pot and simmer to 45 minutes or until brown in color.
- Remove chicken from the pot and let it drain in a cooling rack with a baking pan at the bottom for a few minutes. Pre-heat oven at 180°C
- While waiting for the chicken to dry, Add the slurry (water, cornstarch mixture) to the marinate sauce in the pot. Cook for 5 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Transfer the sauce in a bowl to be used as basting.
- When the chicken is dry and no sauce is dripping anymore, place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes. Brush with the sauce every 20 minutes while turning the chicken.
- Remove from oven and serve with steaming rice. Bon Appetit!