Ginataang kalabasa (squash in coconut milk) with shrimps and string beans is an easy dish to make. Transform delicate squash into this super tasting dish that becomes everyone’s favorite in minutes. It’s one of those dishes that you can eat at lunch or dinner and there won’t be any leftovers. Serve it as a side with steamed rice and fried fish. Or you can have it as a main dish if you want a light meal. Let’s get down to it.
A healthy yet tasty squash in coconut milk is perfect for days when you want to eat light! If you fancy adding some chili, go ahead and I promise you’ll enjoy it more!
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Ginataang Kalabasa
- Do not over cook! Over cooking will make the squash mushy! It should be tender yet firm enough to hold it’s shape.
Ginataang kalabasa with shrimps and string beans
- 1/2 kilo squash cut in cubes
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 10 pieces shrimps
- 200 grams string beans
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 tbsp shrimp paste use salt or fish sauce as alternatives
- In a pot heat oil in medium heat, saute garlic and onion until translucent.
- Add the shrimp paste and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the coconut milk and string beans and bring to boil.
- Put in the squash and let simmer until squash is half-cooked. Add the shrimps and simmer some more until shrimps are cooked or reddish in color.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve with hot steamed rice! Bon Appetit!