Lechon Pork Belly is pork belly rolled and stuffed with herbs and spices and then oven roasted. Oven roasting is my first option when making Lechon. Like with my Crispy Pata recipe, oven-roasting is my way of making this flavorful dish! Cooking Lechon using a bed of charcoal is the traditional way but roasting it in an oven would make the cooking easier. So if you can’t get hold of a whole roasted pig, try this recipe and I’m sure you’ll love it!
To make the meat really tasty a technique called brining is used. Brine is a salt and water solution that is applied to enhance the flavor and moisture of the meat. With the addition of the stuffed herbs and spices, you’re in for a flavorful treat! If you do have access to an outside grill, try roasting over charcoal for a more authentic taste. Alternatively, you can also use a turbo broiler.
I’ve found that there’s nothing like Lechon to bring friends and family together. Whether it’s a simple get-together or a special occasion, this roasted pork belly will be the star of the show! It’s one roasted treat that’s hard to beat. Bon Appetit.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Lechon Pork Belly
- To avoid burning the skin while roasting, cover the pork belly with foil for the the first 1 ½ hours in the oven. Remove foil roast again for an hour.
Lechon Pork Belly
- 2 kilos whole pork belly slab
- 1 cup rock salt
- 6 cups warm water
- 3 stalk lemon grass
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 3 tbsp fine salt for rub
- 2 tbsp ground black pepper for rub
- 3 tbsp cooking oil for rub
- 3 tbsp fresh milk or evaporated milk milk wash
- 1 tbsp water milk wash
Preparing the brine solution
- In a large container or pot. Dilute the rock salt in warm water.
Brining the pork belly
- Wash and clean the pork belly slab in running water. Then submerged the meat in the solution and let brine for minimum of 2 hours or for best result let chill overnight inside the refrigerator.
Making the Lechon pork belly
- Remove the pork belly from the brine solution, wash and pat dry with clean kitchen towels.
- Place the pork belly in a flat surface, skin facing down and rub the meat part with ground black pepper, fine salt and thyme.
- On the center of the pork slab, place the stuffings: onions, garlic and lemon grass.
- Roll the pork belly and tie it securely with kitchen twine. Make sure that it will not open up and spill the stuffing.
- Pat dry the skin again to remove any moisture and let rest for 1 hour inside the fridge.
- Before removing the pork belly from the fridge. Pre-heat oven at 190°C. Take the pork belly out and rub cooking oil and some fine salt on the skin.
- Place the pork belly in a roasting pan with a rack and brush it with milk/water mixture. Roast for 1½ hours. Brush with milk wash every 30 minutes.
- When the skin turns brown in color. Change oven setting to broil at 200°C and bake for another hour or until the skin is golden and crispy.
- Serve with dipping sauce of vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, onion and red chili pepper mix. Bon Appetit!