Black Ink Seafood Pasta is not your typical pasta. One obvious reason is the pasta itself. Black Pasta is pasta made from a pasta dough (typically from durum wheat semolina flour) that has ink from squid or cuttlefish mixed into it. I had this pasta in the cupboard for almost a year and totally forgotten about it. I bought it when we went to Italy and came across this shop specializing on Italian pastas. This recipe is different for my aligue pasta recipe. On this one, the sauce is thinner while on the aligue pasta, it’s thicker. The black pasta also give the whole dish a distinct taste which I think makes this dish unique.
Using a “Nero” or black pasta, made with squid ink, elevates this dish both visually and in terms of flavor. Use any regular long pasta if you can’t find the black variety.
For a unique, colorful presentation to wow your guests and your taste buds. Check the pasta aisle of your local grocery store or visit an Italian specialty store to find this black pasta.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Black Ink Seafood Pasta
- You can either use fresh sea foods ingredients or frozen.
- All the time when making pasta dishes. It needs to be al dente!
Black Ink Seafood Pasta
- 500 grams black pasta you can also use regular long pasta
- 1 1/2 cup mussels no shell or with shell is fine
- 1 1/2 cup squid
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 clove garlic chopped
- 1 small onion cut / sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil or cookin oil
- 2 tbsp cooking wine
- salt and pepper seasoning
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 cup water taken from cooking the pasta
- 1 pc shrimp cube
- parmigiano cheese and parsley garnish
- Boil water in a large pot and cook pasta according to package direction or until al dente.
- Take 1/2 cup water from the pot where you cooked the pasta and set aside. Drain the rest of the water from the pasta and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a wok over medium heat. Saute the squid and mussels for 2 – 3 minutes then add onion and garlic, stir until onion is translucent. Add the cherry tomatoes until half cooked.
- Pour in cooking wine, stir and let simmer for 3 minutes, to release wine’s spirit.
- Add shrimp cube, chili flakes, 1/2 cup pasta water, and bring to boil. Add salt and pepper to season according to your preference.
- Add the black pasta and gently toss with the sauce until all strands are coated. Let simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Transfer in a serving bowl/plate and garnish with parmigiano cheese and parsley. Bon Appetit!