Binagoongan Rice has to be one of my all time favorite dishes. I love making Chinese food at home and fried rice is the perfect combination to my take-away style dishes. I love serving this rice with my Spicy General Tso’s Chicken and Stir Fry. The best fried rice is when it is made with cold rice. You can even cook the rice the night before. Leftover rice has had a chance to dry out a bit which is a good thing because we’re adding ingredients and liquids that will add moisture back into the rice. The longer the rice sits the better it tastes! Serve it as a side with leftover vegetables mixed in, or serve it as a main dish with pork, chicken, and/or shrimp.
Once you have this basic recipe mastered, you can feel free to adjust to suite your needs. Fried rice is so easy to make, but so easy to get wrong. Oftentimes, those attempting fried rice without learning just a couple simple tricks will end up with a sticky mess.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Binagoongan Rice
- For best results use leftover rice, the longer the rice sits the better it tastes!
- You can use brown rice, jasmine rice (popular in SE Asia), short-grain rice (popular in Korea and Japan), basmati rice, multi-grain rice. It’s up to you.
- Before you’re ready to make the fried rice, wet your hands and use your fingers to break up the rice grains – so that each rice grain is separate.
- 4 cups rice cold or cooked the night before
- 4 tbsp bagoong (shrimp paste), fresh or sauteed add more if needed
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 green mango
- 1 egg omelette cooked
- 1 tbsp green onion garnish
- Before you’re ready to make the fried rice, wet your hands and use your fingers to break up the rice grains.
- Heat oil in wok and saute the garlic until fragrant.
- Add the bagoong or shrimp paste and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the rice and mix until all grains are coated with the shrimp paste.
- Taste to adjust seasoning.
- Transfer in a serving bowl, Cut the mango and egg into strips and place on top of the fried rice then garnish with green onions. Enjoy! Bon Appetit!