Turn ordinary mung beans into an amazing and healthy dessert. Boiled mung beans sweetened just right for a quick and easy after-meal treat. This recipe is as simple as it gets!
This dessert, also called Minatamis na Munggo, reminds me of the good old days from my younger years. It all came back to me while I was thinking of easy recipes to post. This treat is a no-fuss, 4 ingredients wonder dessert.
Uses of Mung Beans
Mung beans or green beans are cylindrical beans with a bright green color. Usually used whole, split, or hulled. When used for cooking, mung beans are usually boiled then mashed. Split and hulled mung beans are light yellow in color and often made into a paste or filling. Yes, beans are a very common ingredient in Asian desserts and pastries.
How to make Minatamis na Munggo
You will need only 4 ingredients to make this dessert/snack. Mung beans, powdered milk, sugar, and water. You first boil water in a pot then add the mung beans. Let it boil until the beans are soft and tender.
Drain the water from the pot and mash the beans using a fork. I usually mash 3/4 of the beans while keeping the rest intact. These will give the dessert a bit of texture. Let it cool completely because this is best served cold. Next, add the powdered milk and sugar then mix well. Serve and enjoy!
You might also like:
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for making Minatamis na Munggo
- You can make this a day ahead by boiling the mung beans in advance but not mixing the milk and sugar yet.
- For leftovers, place in a tightly sealed container and put in the fridge. It will be good for a day or two.
Minatamis na Munggo
- 1 cup green mung beans
- 3 cups water
- 3 tbsp powdered milk (per serving)
- 2 tbsp sugar (per serving)
- In a pot, boil water over high heat.
- When the water is boiling, add mung bean and cook for 10-15 minutes or until soft.
- Drain excess water and mash the beans using a fork. Let it cool completely.
- Transfer some mashed mung beans in a bowl and add powdered milk and sugar. Stir and serve. Bon Appetit!