Chicken Afritada with tender and moist chicken! Cooked in tomato sauce with bell peppers, potatoes, green peas, and carrots! A delicious chicken dish especially with steaming hot rice!
I really enjoy this chicken afritada, it is what I cook when I’m in the mood for making something special for my family. We love it with rice but add more potatoes and you can have it on its own. The name of the dish may sound fancy but it’s really easy to make. Some recipes add pork and hotdogs but I like my afritada simple.
Afritada vs Menudo vs Caldereta
These three recipes (in my opinion) are probably the most common tomato-based Filipino recipe. They are very similar but also has differences and unique taste to offer. Afritada is the simplest stew among the three and it’s usually made with chicken or pork with carrots and potatoes.
Menudo is almost identical with afritada but with a thicker sauce. Cubed pork and liver are the protein choice. And last but not the least, Caldereta. Typically made with beef or goat meat and is served hot and spicy. Liver-spread and cheese are added to the sauce that makes it thick.
How to make Chicken Afritada
The recipe calls for chicken parts such as thighs and drumsticks seasoned with salt and pepper then pan-seared on both sides until half-cooked and set aside. Using the same pan, fry potatoes and carrots until crisp-tender the set aside as well. Saute garlic, onions and add the chicken. Pour in tomato sauce and coat chicken parts then simmer for 3 minutes. Add water and chicken broth cube and simmer some more. Throw in the fried potatoes, carrots plus bell peppers and green peas. The result is a chicken dish with vegetables and delicious tomato sauce.
Tips for Chicken Afritada
- Aside from chicken thighs and drumsticks, chicken ribs and wings are also ideal for this recipe.
- If you fancy using fresh tomatoes, you can use 6 large juicy sliced tomatoes and saute together with garlic and onion. When they wilt, mash the tomatoes with a fork to release its juice and add the chicken.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You might also like:
- 600 grams chicken thigh part (or drumsticks)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 medium potatoes (quartered)
- 1 large carrot (sliced)
- 1 medium onion (cut in wedges)
- ½ red bell pepper (sliced)
- ½ green bell pepper (sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- ¼ cup green peas
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper (for seasoning chicken)
- 1 pc chicken broth cube dissolved in 1 cup water
- Wash chicken and remove excess fat and skin. Season with salt and pepper then set aside.
- Wash and cut up all vegetables to size.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry the chicken on both sides until half-cooked or color turns to light brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan fry potatoes and carrots until crisp-tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add more oil if needed and saute onions until translucent. Then add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Throw in the half-cooked chicken again and fry for 3 minutes. Add tomato sauce and toss chicken until coated with tomato sauce. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the broth cube dissolved in 1 cup water and stir. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Add cooked potatoes and carrots and simmer until soft.
- Add bell peppers and green peas and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve. Bon Appetit!