This homemade chili garlic oil recipe is easy to make and adds a very flavorful kick to any dish. A great recipe for chili oil that can be used for cooking or as a condiment!
You will always try to use this garlic chili oil in your favorite savory dish once you try it! It happens every time I make a batch of this homemade chili oil. We thoroughly enjoy dumping a spoonful of this on gyoza. That shows how much we love it!
Chili oil sauce is a popular seasoning in Asian cuisine. Adding chili oil to a dish gives it a unique, spicy flavor. Dumplings, pizza, chicken, veggies, pasta, and noodles are just a few of the treats we tried this chili oil recipe on. You might already be familiar with this well-loved dipping sauce because you’ve seen it in restaurants. Now, you can make it at home!
Chili Oil On Filipino Food
Notes On Ingredients
How To Make Chili Oil
Personally, I find making chili oil straight-forward. It does need some attention to safety because hot oil is involved. I have broken down the process in a couple of steps that are easy to follow.
How to Serve And Store
You May Also Like
Chili Garlic Oil
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 3 pieces star anise
- 2 pieces bay leaves
- 1 piece cinnamon stick
- 1 thumb-sized ginger (sliced thinly)
- 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped )
- 2 tablespoon crushed dried chili (or red chili flakes)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Korean pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Sichuan ground pepper (optional)
- Run dried 1/4 cup chili in a food processor or blender to make 2 tbsp crushed dried chili.2 tablespoon crushed dried chili
- Place crushed dried chili, Korean pepper flakes, Sichuan pepper, brown sugar, chopped garlic in a heat-proof bowl and set aside.4 cloves garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp Korean pepper flakes, 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp Sichuan ground pepper
- In a cooking pot, pour in vegetable oil, cinnamon stick, star anise, bay leaves and ginger slices.2/3 cup vegetable oil, 3 pieces star anise, 2 pieces bay leaves, 1 piece cinnamon stick, 1 thumb-sized ginger
- Heat oil over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes or until oil reach a temperature of 225-250° F (110-120° C) and aromatic.
- In the last stages of heating the oil and spices mixture, pour soy sauce in the bowl with dried chili flakes and mix to incorporate..1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- Carefully and slowly pour the hot oil through a strainer onto the bowl with chili flakes.
- Stir to evenly distribute the heat of the oil and avoid the ingredients from burning.
- Continue stirring until the oil settles down and let it sit in room temperature until totally cooled. Serve and Enjoy. Bon appetit!