Cheese Pimiento sandwich spread is a delicious spread for any type of bread. It can also be used as a dip for nachos, breadsticks or whatever you fancy dipping into it!
This sandwich spread is truly a stable of my childhood school snack or breakfast! My mom, probably most of Filipino moms, will always have a bottle of this cheese spread in her cupboard. It’s one of my favorite sandwich spread until now. Why not?! It’s so delicious and creamy with a hint of sweetness on it. Even my kids love it. They love it so much that when the bottle we brought from the Philippines is done, I had to make my own.
Preparing the spread is very easy. Once you have all the ingredients, all that you will need is to combine everything and then mix them all together. Normally, Pimientos (or pimentos) are red bell peppers that have been broiled or grilled until the skins blacken. The peppers are then placed in a paper bag to steam. But for this recipe, I fried the bell pepper in a pan as an alternative to an oven. It’s so tasty that your guests will ask for the recipe.
This spread goes well with:
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Cheese Pimiento
- This spread will keep well in the fridge, tightly covered, for up to 4 days.
- 300 grams mimolette cheese or cheddar cheese grated
- 95 grams emmental cheese grated (optional)
- 10 grams / 2 tsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp butter or cooking oil for cooking bell peppers
- 2 tbsp condensed milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 big bell pepper seeds removed and cut in small bits
- ¾ cup fresh milk
- Melt butter in a frying pan over high heat. Cook bell peppers for some minutes or until wilted and skin is a bit burnt. Remove bell peppers from the pot. When cool to touch, cut into small pieces and set aside.
- In a pot over low heat. Add grated cheese and butter. Stir to incorporate.
- Add fresh milk, condensed milk and salt. Continue stirring until all of the cheese melts.
- Add and fold in cooked bell peppers. Cook until consistency is thick and creamy but still a bit runny. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- Transfer in a jar and cover tightly. Refrigerate until just before serving. Bon Appetit!