Adobong Puso ng Saging
Adobong Puso ng Saging (Stewed Banana Blossom) is a Filipino recipe that is surprisingly delicious! I usually buy the banana blossom or bud in the Asian store near us. For some who are not familiar with the banana blossom, it is the teardrop-shaped purple flower at the end of the banana fruit cluster. This is usually used in Southeast Asian and Indian cooking. If you want to try something different, then this is for you!
There are different ways of cooking banana blossom in the Philippines. Some cook it with coconut milk and others stewed in vinegar. This recipe calls for stewing the banana blossom in vinegar. And to make the dish more enjoyable, I added some slices of squid making it a tasteful dish. A recipe to impress friends when they come over!
You can also experiment and add the banana blossom to other dishes like for instance Kare-Kare. This ingredient can also be a healthy substitute for meat like in making burger patties, “veggie” (meat) balls and more. Before you proceed in the cooking process, make sure that you prepare the blossoms accordingly by removing the sap (dagta).
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Adobong Puso ng Saging
- If fresh banana is not readily available. You can also use canned banana blossom.
Adobong Puso ng Saging
- 2 pieces puso ng saging (banana blossom/heart)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 cup canned squid (pusit) (water drained and cut into cubes)
- salt and pepper (for seasoning)
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp shrimp paste (optional) (salt as alternative)
- 1 cup water
Preparing the banana blossom/heart (puso ng saging)
- Remove outer husk of the banana blossoms and chop. spread some salt and squeeze to release the sap. Place the chopped banana blossoms in a strainer and wash in running water.
- Repeat the process one more time to make sure the sap is completely released from the banana blossoms. Soak in water to prevent the blossoms oxidizing or turn into a dark color.
Making Adobong Puso ng Saging
- Heat the cooking oil in a cooking pot over medium heat. Saute the garlic and onion. Add the squid and stir fry for a few seconds. Add the shrimp paste or salt and the chopped banana blossoms. Let cook until the blossoms are soft.
- Pour in water, stir and cover. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Add vinegar and simmer for 10 minutes without covering the pot. Taste and adjust seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Turn-off the heat and transfer to a serving plate. Serve and enjoy! Bon Appetit!