Lemon Herb Chicken is another of my go-to recipes chicken like my peri-peri chicken recipe. I bake it in the oven making it a year round favorite. The tangy, savory taste of the chicken leaves you asking for more.
This roasted whole chicken is marinated in a simple mixture of lemon juice, fresh herbs and spices then oven baked to juicy perfection.
This Roasted Whole Chicken is juicy, tender and perfectly crispy on the outside. It is mouthwatering, easy to make and incredibly flavorful! The chicken recipes I have were inspired by a restaurant when we are at the U.K. We love their different chicken menus so much that I replicated and develop my own recipes.
The marinade adds a delicious flavor to the chicken, which cooks great on the grill outdoors or in the oven indoors. We make this all year long, using my oven in the winter months. I love adding roasted potatoes or salad and it’s great for lunch or dinner.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Lemon Herb Chicken
- I usually cook this with whole chicken but you can choose your favorite cut of chicken. if you use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken breast tenders, adjust baking/roasting time.
- Use any herbs you like.
Lemon Herb Chicken
- 1 whole chicken (washed and giblet removed)
- 2 lemons (or kalamansi, extract the juice)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp cayenne powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
How to butterfly cut the whole chicken
- Place the chicken on a cutting board back-side-down. Working from the cavity opening up to the neck, Cut the breast in the middle and grab the chicken with one breast in each hand and open it like a book, exposing the cavity of the bird.
- Poke the outer skin of the chicken with the sharp tip of a knife so it will absorb the marinate. From this point, the chicken can cook flat either on a grill or roast it in the oven.
Marinating the chicken
- Pour the extracted juice form the lemon and add the whole chicken. Rub the lemon juice and let rest for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl. Add olive oil, salt, pepper, soy sauce, cayenne, paprika, thyme, rosemary and chili flakes. Mix until all ingredients combine into a paste mixture.
- Rub the herb and spice mixture into the chicken and marinate for 1 hour up 2 hours or overnight.
- After marinating, place the chicken on a baking tray lined with aluminum foil. Pour the marinate sauce on the chicken and bake/roast for 1 ½ hour or until cooked through. Cooking time may vary according to oven used.
- Remove from oven and serve with roasted potatoes, salad or your favorite sides. Bon Appetit!