Mongolian beef is flavorful, with tender beef in a rich and savory brown sauce. This dish is probably one of the most popular Chinese beef dishes takeouts right after broccoli beef. The sweet flavor of the brown sugar mixed with the soy sauce and the strong ginger and garlic is incredibly addicting. Plus you get to enjoy it over a mountain of steamed rice.
The dish is named after the cooking style, rather than the origins. Mongolian barbecue is actually a stir-fry dish that originated in Taiwan. Bursting with wonderfully tender beef covered in the most-lick-the-plate yummy, sauce ever – all in a quick and easy stir fry! I don’t exaggerate when I tell you this is one of my favorite Asian dishes to date.
You don’t have to eat at a restaurant to enjoy a fabulously delicious Mongolian Beef. It’s easy to make at home and can be served over white rice for a meal that is sure to become a family favorite. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, you might also want to try the following recipes: Pad Thai, Charlie Chan.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Mongolian Beef
- Use a kitchen hammer or the spine of your knife and pound the beef flanks to tenderize them quicker.
- 1 kilo beef flank steak thin cut strips
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup flour for coating beef
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 thumb-sized ginger minced
- ¼ cup green onions
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- salt and pepper seasoning
- Pound beef with kitchen hammer and place in a bowl and coat with flour. Set aside
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and ginger until aromatic. Stir-fry beef flanks until they are half-done.
- Add water, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Mix and cover-simmer while occasionally stirring to avoid beef sticking to the skillet. When beef is soft and tender. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Note: You can add some more water if the beef needs more cooking.
- Turn off the heat and dish out. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds the serve! Bon Appetit!