Orange Chicken involves crisp, fried chicken bites smothered in a wondrous sweet and tangy orange sauce. Imagine bite-sized chicken that are fried to golden brown perfection. Coated in the most amazing, sweet and spicy sauce. Talk about delicious comfort food! I’m pretty sure that your friends and family will love this! The secret is in the sauce. The orange sauce is really is what makes this recipe so good! It’s a delicious blend of fresh orange juice and zest. It is the perfect copy takeout meal if you fancy takeout but can’t find one near your house!
Orange Chicken is an Asian dish that goes well with piping hot rice or you can try our binagoongan fried rice for a truly Asian cuisine experience.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Orange Chicken
- You can also bake the chicken if you don’t like to fry it. but use breadcrumbs instead of the cornstarch and baking soda I used in this recipe.
- You can make the orange sauce in advance and put in a freezer.
- 1 kilo chicken breast cut in bite-size approx. 1 inch
For chicken marinate
- 1 tbsp cooking wine
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the chicken coating
- 1 cup corstarch
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
For cooking orange chicken
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes or crushed dried chili pepper
- cooking oil
For pre-mixed sauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice approx . 2-3 fresh oranges
- 1/2 cup cup chicken broth chicken cube dissolved in water
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp cornstarch dissolve in 1/8 cup water thickening agent
- green onions cut in strips
- orange peel/skin cut in long strips and shaped into twirls
- sesame seeds
- Start buy washing the chicken breasts and cut into bite-size cubes. Put them in a bowl and set aside.
- Separate two egg whites and beat for 20 seconds. Add light soy sauce, cooking wine, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Add the marinate sauce to the chicken cubes and mix well. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- While the meat is marinating. Slice open the oranges and juice them until you have the amount needed. Set aside.
- Extract zest from the orange peel/skin using a fine grater until you have 2-3 tbsp. Set aside
Preparing the pre-mixed sauce
- Add the orange juice and chicken broth in a bowl. Mix in light soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and orange zest. Mix and set aside. At this point you should have also mixed the 1 tsp cornstarch in 1/8 cup of water (thickening agent).
Preparing the chicken coating
- In a mixing bowl. Mix together the 1 cup cornstarch, all-purpose flour and baking soda. Transfer in a clean transparent plastic bag.
- Add the marinated chicken cubes in the plastic bag of flour coating. Seal and shake the bag to coat the chicken cubes evenly.
Cooking the orange chicken
- In a deep frying pan, heat oil at 180°C. Remove the chicken cubes from the plastic bag and fry for 3 minutes in 2 to 3 batches. Set aside
- Heat 2 tbsp cooking oil in a wok and saute ginger, garlic and chili flakes for 10-15 seconds. Add the pre-mixed sauce and bring to boil for 2 minutes to reduce. Pour the thickening agent and simmer to thicken the sauce.
- Add the fried chicken cubes and fold into the sauce until all pieces are coated. Remove from wok and transfer in a serving plate
- Garnish with green onions, sesame seeds and twisted orange peel strips. Serve and Bon Appetit!