This Charlie Chan Pasta recipe will let you enjoy Yellow Cab’s favorite pasta dish right at the comfort of your homes! Al dente spaghetti noodles coated with rich, flavorful sauce with chicken and peanuts.
How I’ve longed to taste again this delicious Yellow Cab’s charlie chan chicken pasta. Luckily, I have this great copycat recipe so I can make a batch every time craving strikes. It’s simple enough to make and the ingredients can be easily bought at groceries or Asian stores. Get ready to taste bold flavors and load up your plate with seconds.
Enjoy this amazing dish with spinach pizza or have it on it’s own. If you are planning to serve it with a large group of people, just double up on the ingredients. This recipe will surely impress your family and friends. I would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below with your thoughts. We’d love to hear what you think about our pasta recipe and how it goes together!
What Is Charlie Chan Pasta?
Charlie Chan chicken pasta is one of the dishes in Yellow Cab’s arsenal aside from pizza. It is an Asian-inspired pasta that has an amazing mix of sweetness which complimented well with its savory flavor. A lot of people say that this is the best pasta on their menu. I can’t agree more, it really is delicious and aromatic that is so inviting. This pasta cooked the Asian way is a real fusion.
It is not your typical pasta with red or white sauce but instead has a rich brown color. Aside from the amazing mix of sweet, savory and nutty flavors, the chicken strips and chili flakes are great additions and their flavors compliments the pasta dish as a whole. What really stands out are the roasted peanuts that really worked well with all the other ingredients. If you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend it.
Notes On Some Ingredients
How To Serve And Store
You May Also Like
Charlie Chan Chicken Pasta
- 250 grams spaghetti pasta
- 2 pcs chicken breast (cut into strips)
- salt and pepper (seasoning for chicken)
- 4 cloves garlic (sliced)
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 6 pcs medium mushrooms
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp chili flakes (or dried red chili (optional))
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- green onions/scallion (garnish)
For the sauce
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 2 tbsp shaoxing wine (optional)
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup water (thickening agent)
- Boil water in a pot and cook pasta according to packaging instruction or until al dente. Drain water and transfer in serving bowl. Set aside250 grams spaghetti pasta
Making the sauce
- In a large wok or pan over medium heat, tip in hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, honey, 5 spice powder, shaoxing wine, salt, sugar, and water. Stir to mix and let simmer for 3 – 5 minutes. Taste and adjust accordingly.½ cup hoisin sauce, ¼ cup oyster sauce, ⅓ cup soy sauce, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tsp 5 spice powder, 2 tbsp shaoxing wine, 1 ½ tsp salt, 1 cup water, 2 tbsp sugar
- Add thickening agent or slurry and cook until thick yet saucy. Set aside.1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup water
Cooking the toppings
- In a different pan over medium heat, add sesame oil and peanut oil. When oil is hot enough, sauté garlic and onion.4 cloves garlic, 1 small onion, 2 tbsp sesame oil, 2 tbsp peanut oil
- In a bowl place chicken strips and season chicken strips with salt and pepper.salt and pepper
- Add chicken strips and fry until cooked through. Tip in mushrooms and cook until soft and tender. Add chili flakes and spring onion and cook for 2 more minutes.2 pcs chicken breast, 6 pcs medium mushrooms, 1 tbsp chili flakes
- Take the cooked spaghetti pasta and add into cooked chicken and mushrooms. Toss gently to evenly distribute. Add the sauce then toss again making sure all strands are coated.
- Top with whole roasted peanuts according to your preference and garnish with green onions! Bon Appetit.1/4 cup roasted peanuts, green onions/scallion