Charlie Chan chicken pasta is one of the pasta in Yellow Cab’s arsenal.
A lot of people said that this is the best pasta on their menu, I can’t agree more as it really is delicious at the same time interesting just imagine a pasta cooked the Asian way, it’s a real fusion. If you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend it. It is not your typical pasta with red or white sauce but brown. This Asian-inspired pasta has an amazing mix of sweetness which complimented well with its savory flavor. The chicken strips and chili flakes were great additions as both pooled its signature flavors to compliment the pasta. But what really stood out was that the roasted peanuts really worked well with all the other ingredients.
Enjoy this peculiar yet delectable pasta with the rolled-up pizza I posted some days ago. You can also have it on it’s own. If you are planning to serve it with a large group of people, just double up on the ingredients. This recipe will surely impress your family and friends.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Charlie Chan Pasta
- If you are allergic to peanuts, you can remove it from the ingredients and still enjoy this pasta.
Charlie Chan Chicken Pasta
- 250 grams spaghetti pasta
- 2 pcs chicken breast cut into strips
- salt and pepper seasoning for chicken
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 small onion sliced
- 6 pcs medium mushrooms
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp chili flake or dried red chili (optional)
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- green onions/scallion garnish
For the sauce
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 2 tbsp shaoxing wine optional
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup water thickening agent
- Boil water in a pot and cook pasta according to packaging instruction or until al dente. Drain water and transfer in serving bowl. Set aside
Making the sauce
- In a large wok or pan over medium heat, tip in hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, honey, 5 spice powder, shaoxing wine, salt, sugar, and water. Stir to mix and let simmer for 3 – 5 minutes. Taste and adjust accordingly.
- Add thickening agent or slurry and cook until thick yet saucy. Set aside.
Cooking the toppings
- In a different pan over medium heat, add sesame oil and peanut oil. When oil is hot enough, sauté garlic and onion.
- Add chicken strips and fry until cooked through. Tip in mushrooms and cook until soft and tender. Add chili flakes and spring onion and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Take the cooked spaghetti pasta and add cooked chicken and mushrooms. Toss gently to evenly distribute. Add the sauce then toss again making sure all strands are coated.
- Top with whole roasted peanuts according to your preference and garnish with green onions! Bon Appetit.