Buko Pandan Salad is one of the many Filipino desserts that you will see on special occasions. A refreshing treat with coconut, jelly, and a hint of pandan with rich lip-smacking cream.
I often make this dessert every chance I get. Why? because my family is nuts about it. My husband will usually get up from bed late at night to get a bowl of this yummy delight. I will never forget the first time I made this because it was perfect. You can’t go wrong with this. You can make it as sweet as you want or be a bit conservative. If you want it with more texture, just add more coconut meat. You can make it just the way you like. One more thing that makes this ideal is that it’s cheap to make and the ingredients can be easily sourced out at groceries near you.
The main ingredients for Buko Pandan are buko (young coconut), Agar-agar which is a natural vegetable gelatin counterpart and pandan leaves. Firstly the agar-agar bars are boiled in coconut water with pandan leaves and sugar. When the agar-agar melts, it is then poured in a baking pan or any container to let it cool down and turn into jelly. When it is firm, cut into small cubes then set aside. To make the cream, use whipping cream or all-purpose cream and beat with a hand mixer until soft peak. The reason for this is to make it creamier even when frozen. Then add condensed milk, beat some more the mix in the coconut meat, and jelly then fold in gently with the cream. Put it in the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour and voila! you have your creamy buko pandan dessert!
You might also like
- Cheesecake Ice Cream with no special equipment needed.
- Mango and Nata de Coco dessert.
- Eggless Tiramisu
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Buko Pandan Salad
- If you don’t have fresh coconut, you can use frozen shredded coconut. Just thaw before mixing with the cream.
- Beating the whipping cream with a hand mixer is optional, but I suggest that you try it first.
- You can use pandan extract if pandan leaves are not readily available.
Buko Pandan Salad
- 20 grams or 2 bars green Agar Agar
- 1 ½ cup coconut water
- 1 cup water
- 2 pandan leaves tied in a knot
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ cup whipping cream or all-purpose cream
- ¾ cup condense milk
- 3 cups shredded young coconut meat.
- Cut the green agar-agar bars into pieces.
- Pour the coconut water in a cooking pot over medium heat. Tip in the agar-agar and the pandan leaves and bring to a boil.
- When the agar-agar melts, add sugar, simmer and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Remove the pandan leaves and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer in a heat-proof container using a strainer to strain any un-melted agar-agar.
- Let the mixture cool down and set into a jelly.
- Cut the jelly into small cubes or your preferred size. Set aside
- To make the cream. Pour whipping cream in a mixing bowl and beat with hand mixer at high speed until soft peak.
- Add condensed milk and beat again for 5 minutes until well incorporated.
- Gently fold in the jelly and after the young coconut meat. Taste and adjust sweetness according to your liking by adding condensed milk.
- Place inside the freezer for 1 hour or overnight. Serve and enjoy. Bon Appetit!