Spanish Bread is something that you should really try baking. These log-shaped bread with butter and sugar paste filling is truly hearty comfort food. Eating one is nostalgic and reminiscent of fond childhood memories!
Hey guys! We have been blogging for 6 months now and what a ride it has been! Thank you for supporting our site and sharing us through social media! You might know by now that I really love sharing baking recipes especially traditional Filipino bread from local bakeries. This post is no different cause I’ll show you how to make Spanish Bread!
When you think of meryenda or afternoon snack in the Philippines, this bread is among one of the choices you have. Displayed in glass stands at local bakeries, soft, fluffy bread filled with butter and sugar then coated breadcrumbs. A bread like no other and definitely every Filipinos favorite meryenda.
The texture from the breadcrumbs makes them a delight to eat. The filling that is sweet and buttery is a nice contrast to the soft bread surrounding it. Enjoy it fresh out of the oven with tea, coffee or your favorite beverage!
You might also like:
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Spanish Bread
- Do not let the dough rise for too long if proving in a warm place. The maximum should be at least 1 hour. Otherwise, the bread will end up having a yeasty taste. The trick is to let it rise until it doubles in size and volume.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic, it should spring back when poked. Add more flour only when the dough is too wet and clings heavily to the sides of the bowl.
Ingredients for the bread
- 500 grams bread flour
- ¼ cup powdered milk
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 100 grams sugar
- 1 cup warm milk or warm water add if needed
- 80 grams butter softened in room temperature
- 2 tsp salt
Ingredients for filling
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups powdered milk
- ¾ cups brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence optional
- ¼ cup soften butter or Margarine
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
Making the bread
- Dissolve 1 tsp active dry yeast in warm water. Stir in yeast until completely dissolved. Let mixture stand until yeast begins to foam vigorously (5 – 10 minutes). Set Aside
- Using a mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Add bread flour, sugar, powdered milk, and salt. Mix with a spatula then add the yeast mixture and butter mix some more until well incorporated.
- With the dough hook attachment beat the mixture at low speed for 5 minutes. Add butter and beat again for 10 minutes at medium speed or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- If kneading by hand. Knead for 20-25 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Transfer the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let sit for 1 hour or until double in size. While waiting for the dough to rise, you can start with making your filling.
Making the filling
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl except the water.
- Mix until well incorporated. Gradually add water 1 tbsp at a time until pasty in texture.
- Set aside.
- Take your risen soft bread dough and place on top of a lightly floured flat surface. Lightly punch the dough in the middle to release air.
- Using a weighing scale. Weigh 40 grams of dough (or according to your preference). Cut and weigh until you have 15 to 16 pieces of smaller dough.
- Roll into an oval shape and flatten using a rolling pin (approx. 2 mm thick). Take1 to 1½ tablespoon of the filling and place it on the edge of the flatten dough with a smaller width.
- From where the filling is sitting, roll the dough to make a log. Repeat the process until you finish the dough.
- Dredge with breadcrumbs and shake off excess then place inside the baking tray greased or lined with a parchment paper. Make sure that the dough is arranged two inches apart. Cover with a towel or cloth and let it rise for 30mins.
- Preheat oven at 180° C or 356° F 15 minutes before the dough rises.
- Bake the Spanish bread for 18 to 20 minutes until the top turns golden. If you're using two racks, switch the trays after 12 minutes so all the rolls will brown evenly.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Bon Appetit!