Salted Egg Pasta is an easy and quick recipe using salted egg. There’s no denying that the soft, creamy texture of salted eggs works perfectly to create a delicious pasta sauce. A flavorful alternative for conventional pasta!
You might think it weird having salted egg in your pasta. But originally in Italian cuisine, it is made by tossing hot pasta with beaten raw eggs off the heat. The hot noodles turn the eggs into a creamy mass. The salted egg introduces a new dimension to this classic dish. Salted egg is trending in the food scene now in the Philippines. Salted egg potato chips and salted egg chicharon are some examples of food with salted egg flavors. So this is my take on the classic Italian dish but with a local twist!
Get your friends and family into the salted egg craze! Start with this Salted Egg Pasta, which is sure to get your friends Instagramming. This pasta recipe is good with just the sauce only but you can add bacon or shrimps. Deliciously addictive, salted egg dishes are fast becoming a mainstay of Filipino cuisine. Try it yourself with a fusion take on a traditional pasta!
You might also like:
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Salted Egg Pasta
- Coating pasta in olive oil prevents the pasta from drying out too fast and sticking to each other.
Salted Egg Pasta
- 250 grams spaghetti noodles
- 4 salted egg (shell removed and mashed (yolk with white))
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- salt and pepper (seasoning)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1½ cup shrimps (peeled and deveined)
- In a pot, boil 4 L water. Once boiling, add spaghetti and cook according to packet instructions. Drain pasta and coat spaghetti with 2 Tbsp olive oil. Set aside.
- In a separate pan on medium heat, melt butter and add in garlic. Saute for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Fry shrimps until cooked and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the mashed salted egg and stir for a few seconds. Add heavy cream, a pinch of salt and pepper, and parmesan cheese. Let simmer for 4 minutes
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Toss spaghetti and shrimps in the sauce. Stir well for 4 to 5 minutes, until pasta is evenly coated.
- Transfer pasta to a serving dish and serve hot. Bon Appetit!