A moist banana cake topped with an easy streusel topping. This Banana Crunch Cake is a perfect way to use those ripe bananas! Have you got a bit of a sweet tooth but always feeling guilty after tucking into a dessert? Well, this healthier cake is perfect for you.
Let me just say here that I was excited to make this banana crunch, that excitement went up about ten notches when the fragrance coming from the oven while baking was everywhere in the kitchen. I really love making Banana bread when I’m looking for something a little healthier. But every now and then I love to use bananas for something a little more rich and decadent like this Banana Crunch Cake.
This recipe was developed from banana bread. It’s almost reminiscent of banana bread, but a little bit softer. I realized a new dessert would be healthier, moister, and better appreciated. And I was right! the children and my husband love it! Streusel plays a big part in making the topping crunchy thus giving the cake more texture. This recipe really takes your typical banana cake to the next level. And let’s be honest, it makes eating cake totally acceptable for breakfast.
You might also like:
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
Tips for Banana Crunch Cake
- For best results, use over-ripe bananas. Why? They are easier to mash (so that they incorporate more smoothly into the batter), sweeter (more starch has converted to sugar), and more aromatic when over-ripe. Although you can still have a good end product using fully ripe bananas.
Banana Crunch Cake
- 3 over-ripe bananas (or fully-ripe)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tbsp walnuts (chopped) (optional or your choice of nuts)
Making the cake batter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C), and butter a 12×12-inch baking pan.
- Peel and place the three bananas in a bowl. Using a fork, mash the bananas.
- Melt butter in a microwave and pour in with the bananas. Add brown sugar and two eggs. Mix ingredients with a wire whisk until well incorporated.
- Add all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tbsp baking powder. Stir and mix with a rubber spatula until you for the batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan and flatten with a spatula. Set aside
Making the streusel topping
- In a bowl put flour, cinnamon, sugar and give it a stir.
- Add the cold butter. Using a fork or pastry cutter cut the butter into small pieces until the mixture becomes a sandy texture.
- When you achieve a sandy texture. Pour on top of the banana cake batter then add the nuts.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for a few minutes. Then remove the banana cake from the pan and let cool completely before serving. Slice with a bread knife and serve. Bon Appetit!