Give your favorite meat flavor depth and character with peri-peri sauce! You can literally have it on anything from marinade to dipping sauce. It’s so easy to make and this recipe assures you’ll always have a jar in your kitchen
Peri-Peri sauce is a hot sauce from south Africa. This is an oil based sauce, made from paprika, red bell pepper, garlic, dry bird’s eye red chili, seasonings, vinegar and onion. It enhances lamb, beef and chicken, and turn them to amazing new dishes.
I first experienced this sauce from one of the famous restaurants in the U.K. Now I use this sauce to marinate my chicken to make Peri -Peri Chicken. You can also use this sauce for dipping or making sandwiches or wraps. So, let’s dive into it to make your very own sauce!
What makes this sauce works?
The essential ingredient for this sauce is the bird’s eye chili. You can find them typically in Asian and African stores which is the case for me since I live in France. This gives the sauce kick and give character to dishes marinated in it or dipped into it.
You can use it as a marinating sauce for whole or cuts of chicken. It also works great for other proteins like pork and lamb. Dipping sauce? oh yeah! this amazing red hot sauce got you covered.
You can have it as thin or thick as you want. Add more olive oil for thinner sauce and tip in some water to make it more saucy.
Tips for best results
If you can’t find bird’s eye chili, jalapenos, red Thai chili or chili flakes are good alternatives.
Aside from dried oregano, you can also experiment by mixing in some rosemary or thyme.
The secret ingredient is always LOVE
You may also like:
Peri Peri Chicken Livers is the ultimate quick and easy meal. Chicken livers are nutritious and affordable. And they just taste super delicious!
Peri Peri Chicken Pops. This dish is ideal as appetizer, main course or to bring on picnics.
Chicken Satay with peanut sauce grilled perfectly is a must Asian food experience! Marinated chicken strips slathered with peanut sauce is simply delicious. An easy grilled chicken recipe that is a keeper!
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 red bell peppers (chopped)
- 7 pcs bird's eye chilis (or red thai chili)
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- Using a blender, put all ingredients and blend until you have a thick paste and uniform consistency.
- Transfer to a saucepan over medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring now and then to prevent the sauce from burning.
- After 20 minutes, check the taste and adjust. The sauce should be balanced with a nice kick of spice and enough sourness.
- Once cool, pour this sauce into a jar and put in your fridge. Now, your sauce is prepared and ready to use when needed!